Friday, July 9, 2021

Friday check in: on the map and underway -- with Positivity

 

How cool is this?  My town is on commercially-printed quilt fabric! 

It's BasicGrey "Compositions" for Moda. I bought it because of the soft gray-on gray color and because I like text prints. When I took it out to cut into it I took a moment to read it.

The map image shows the railway depots north and northwest of Chicago.  Winthrop Harbor is the farthest northeast. The vertical white lines are part of the fabric design. My guess is that it's pre-WWI.  There are some stations that aren't towns (e.g. Ontarioville, now part of Hanover Park; Leithton, now part of Vernon Hills). There are towns with railway depots nowadays that aren't on this map. (Example: my hometown, Northbrook, which is between Glenview and Deerfield that are on the map.  Nbk. was  Shermerville until 1929.)   

The other images on the fabric are maps of parts of Central America, Portugal/Spain/France, and the Baltic Sea with coastline of Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia.  The other text is taken from books or newspapers and is very soft and blurry.  

# # # # #

I'll only keep one repeat of that particular print. The rest will be used as part of the wedding quilt that, ta-da!, I have begun.  The design I have in mind will require 100 6-1/2" blocks, half green/gray and half blue/gray. 

# # # # #

I finished quilting Positivity Plaid, my entry in Preeti's Positivity QAL  I pieced extra blocks into the back.  It's 58 x 68.



I took PP for show and tell at the quilt guild's IN-PERSON ice cream social meeting on Wednesday evening.  It was so great to see guild friends in real life after months of Zooming! 

I got so caught up in socializing that I volunteered to be the Block of the Month chair for 21-22, starting in September.  Fortunately Marge C. spoke up and said she'd help. We brainstormed for about five minutes and decided we'll do basket blocks lotto-style. (That is, we'll provide the pattern and a common fabric each month. Participants will bring finished blocks the next month for a pool that one or two will win.  By contrast, the past five years the BOM has been make-and-keep-your-own.)   

If you have a favorite basket block, let me know!

 


Linking up with other quilters at  Finished or Not Friday



10 comments:

  1. Fabulous Positivity quilt! The plaids are just perfect! I like fabric with words too! How fun to find one with familiar places and names on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with Positivity Plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good! You started the wedding quilt! Nice color scheme and block.

    Will you share your basket blocks each month? It would be fun to make a sampler quilt of baskets. I love basket blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holee Buckets - look at you go!!! your positivity is so pretty! and those green blocks - wow - those are so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Cathy's idea - please share the monthly basket block with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An IN-PERSON ice cream social, like in the Olden Days Before the Plague?! Sounds like so much fun! Good luck to you in your new Block of the Month role. You'll be great. And your Positivity quilt came out fantastic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to find your town on fabric. DH’s hometown is in the Texas version of the I’ve Been Everywhere song but mine isn’t. You pulled pretty blues and greens for the wedding quilt. Great Positivity finish. I love putting the extras on the back. It makes it easier to connect fabric widths. No matching.
    Good luck with the block lotto. Do people pay for the basket fabric or are you pulling it from your stash? .

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was fun seeing the map fabric and you knew where the places were and what they are called now.
    The guild I belonged to also did the raffle block. Most of the girls/guys did 2 blocks. One to give away and one to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The map fabric is pretty cool. You've gotten a good start on the wedding quilt. Congrats on finishing your Positivity quilt. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.