Sunday, July 11, 2021

A vintage good-bye

There are old clothes -- that pair of slacks with legs that are wider than current fashion; the sweater that doesn't fit right; the skirt that's the wrong length but can't be hemmed.  I've always been pretty good about bundling those up and taking them to Salvation Army.  (And in turn I've gotten some great new-to-me clothes from thrift shops.)

But there are also Old Clothes that you have had just about forever.  I hadn't realized what my mother had kept from my growing-up years until we had an estate sale after our parents passed away in 2002.  The sale was very successful and lucrative but there was a lot left over -- including some of those Old Clothes.  I folded them and put them in a space bag (remember those? suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner). The parcel was relegated to a shelf in the cedar closet in the basement.  I knew it was there but I just ignored it.  

Finally, this summer, I took it out.  I'd forgotten just what was in the parcel (note: space bag seals fail, and vacuum-packing does not prevent wrinkles).  Here's what I found. 


Senior year dresses. Left:  when our Job's Daughters group went to the state conference in Springfield (April, 1970) we made all-the-same dresses.  Center:  h.s. graduation dress, 1970.  Right:  all-wool "skort"--a jumper with shorts-legs.






High school skirts.  Left:  Garland skirt with coordinating blouse. (I had a cardigan and kneesocks dyed to match.)  From freshman year.

Second: Garland skirt, sophomore year. I had a v-neck pullover and kneesocks dyed to match. 

Third: sophomore year.

Right:  Villager was THE brand to have. It was expensive so I only had a few Villagers.  This skirt was the length of the others when I was in high school.  In college I cut it so short that I only wore it a couple of times.  


(What amazes me is that I was overweight in high school.  These are size 12. Oh, I so wanted to be a 9.)





The third skirt is made from "bonded" wool. No lining required. 


Fisherman's sweaters were all the rage my sophomore year.  This is by Bobbie Brooks and I wore it for many years. 




Another Bobbie Brooks, part of my going-to-college wardrobe. Polyester double knit was the miracle fabric -- and, by golly, 51 years later it is NOT WRINKLED.  







Polyester chiffon over stiff polyester lining from 1974.  I was my best friend Alex's maid of honor. It looks funny on the hanger because the dress has a halter top and there's a capelet.   




My niece buys, sells, and collects vintage clothing. I'm going to send these to her to do with as she pleases.


Thanks for joining me on this sentimental journey! 



P.S.  They are still happily married. Three kids, six grandkids.  

5 comments:

  1. Love the flashback! Villager and Bobbie Brooks were staples in my wardrobe, as were Bass Weejuns (Weegens? My mother ordered those shoes directly from the Bass store (in Maine?) as no shop carried them in Nashville. I was rather demanding, I'm embarrassed to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our wardrobes were pretty similar from HS. I graduated in 1972. What a great idea to send the vintage items to your niece. She may consider them a real treasure. The only thing I have left from that era - my senior prom dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun! I was a Job’s Daughter too! I joined in 1968 (high school freshman) and became Honored Queen (Bethel 351 in Covina, California, now defunct) in December 1972. (College freshman year). I got married in 1974 and my Maid of Honor had an almost identical dress to the blue floral chiffon! My only regret about some of the old clothes I wore in high school and college is that I don’t have pictures of some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fortunate in that the Villager/Ladybug factory was just outside Near Philadelphia and we'd drive up there to buy those beautiful clothes at an excellent price. Corner House carried similar clothing and their factory was nearby, too. I'd pay quite a bit right now for a couple of those Villager blouses -- soft fabric with beautiful prints . . . . Oh, and I made a camel jumper out of bonded wool in 1966.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun walk through memory lane. I remember the Villagers and Lady Bugs and the like. I went to freshmen to junior year in Northern Virginia and senior year in California. Talk about difference. No cute little wool skirts and shirts/sweaters. In VA. I was sent home for wearing a culotte dress that was so loose and flowing I was surprised they could even see the culotte part! But in Ca. the drill team wore some sort of outfit that was basically a split dress. (I talked my way onto the team when I registered for school!) Our senior portraits in Va were with drapes so I insisted my Ca. sr portrait would also be with drapes. I think the only wool skirt from hs I have is a tartan kilt. My grandmother bought it ... I don't know how many years ago. I whacked it off to a mini skirt too. Actually, my daughter wore it at least once or twice but it might have been as a Halloween costume. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.