Friday, June 4, 2021

Friday check in: a quilt show.....and the most beautiful fabric in the world (again)

Yesterday I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go to the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo at the Schaumburg convention center.  The Expo has been held in the Chicago area many times. I've only been once before (when the Quilt Festival was not at Rosemont). The last time I attended an event at this venue was  in 2016.  

It appeared that for most of the attendees this was among the first major outings in our vaccinated world. Some people wore masks, some didn't. (I went back and forth.)  

The exhibits weren't extensive.  That had the benefit of not being overwhelming.  



The Upcycle piece on the upper left, "Net Worth," is by Pat Kroth, a Wisconsin textile artist. I have one of her silk-screened scarves and get compliments every time I wear it.  (This particular piece features plastic-mesh produce bags and other recycled stuff.)   

The convention show floor was large enough to give wide aisles. There were just 48 vendors -- the emphasis seemed to be on machines (sewing, embroidery, long arm) and furniture.  

There wasn't much fabric but some of it came home with me.



One-yard pieces, $6 each.  The man said they used to have a second shop in Cocoa, FL, but closed it to focus on the Orlando shop.  15,000 bolts. That is a LOT of fabric. 






I thought I'd discovered The Most Beautiful Fabric in the World here  (Lida Enche prints by In The Beginning).  Now I have found a new line of TMBFITW.   P. Carter Carpin said she designs the fabric, has it printed, and sells it herself (not in shops).  She has 15+ new prints coming out this fall.  I will monitor her Etsy site! 

I bought a FQ bundle and three one-yard cuts.  I will admire these luscious prints for a while before I decide what to make. 

I was home by 1 p.m. I had time to take my husband to the barber shop and bake a pie (rhubarb/strawberry) before going to Highland Park to meet my friend and double-sister Sue (P.E.O./Alpha Gam) for a catch-up and some committee business.  (I got back too late to cook dinner so we went out for Chinese. We had the pie for dessert.)

This weekend I'll be sewing while Zooming at the Illinois P.E.O. Convention. I'm a delegate so I have to pay attention but that doesn't mean I have to be glued to the computer screen.  

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday and Whoop Whoop



6 comments:

  1. What a fun outing!! and yep!! those are amazing fabrics - we will anxiously wait to see what you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun outing... You found some beautiful fabrics. Whatcha gonna make wid em? Something wonderful no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing to have in person quilt shows again! Great finds at a great price, just can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous fabric indeed....nice bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is some of the most beautiful fabric in the world! Wow, how cool is that. How nice to have been able to go to a quilt show like that. I'm looking forward to dropping in on a local one this afternoon. It's been so long! I've seen a few Pat Kroth pieces at various venues here in WI, and I'm always amazed by them. That vintage pattern piece...was that paper collage? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fabric! I’m sure you will make something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.