Sunday, March 7, 2021

Weekly update: hints of spring, multiple projects, and reading

March began with a flurry of activities.  On Wednesday we got our first Covid vaccine shots at CTCA, the hospital in Zion. It was quick and we had no side effects. The second shot is scheduled for March 31.  


On Saturday evening we went to the first indoor concert in exactly a year. (The last time was March 7, 2020.)  Only 50 people were in attendance with ample social distancing. The Lake County Symphony Orchestra featured a percussionist (marimba and vibraphone) and a brass quintet.   


Spring is in the air with lots of sunshine and mild temperatures. . It was great to get out walking again. 







 Illinois Beach State Park, Saturday:  don't be fooled by the sand-covered pack ice. It's not safe to walk on!  You can see the undercutting. 


Sunday:  There was ice on the ponds at Van Patten Woods.  (VPW is about seven miles west of the lakefront.) 


# # # # # # # # # #

My Myers-Briggs typology is ESFJ.  Among the characteristics is a need for closure.  Too many projects in the works is unsettling.  And that's just what I have in the studio right now.



But first, a finish:   16 framed four-patches in green for the March RSC.  





On one end of the design wall:   8" batik sawtooth stars. Just because.  I'm going to make 30 and then figure out how to set them. 








On the other end of the design wall:  a new spare parts quilt. 

 I don't have any more room on the design wall for the other new project.  Nine Patch Square Dance by Sherri McConnell  is the new quilt-along from American Patchwork & Quilting. My idea is a sunny flower garden.  I thought I might use different colors for the nine-patches and rails, but I think that a variety of yellows and greens will work better. 

The blocks are 9".  Here is the link to the pattern, though experienced quilters can figure this out at a glance.



Oh, and this is floating around too. (I had to take it off the design wall for the sawtooth stars.)  The units are made out of leftovers from Grassy Creek. 


# # # # # # # # #

Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Scrap Happy Saturday  Monday Making     Design Wall Monday





I listened to Holy Ghost by John Sandford. Eric Conger's narration captures the off-beat, not-quite-snarky approach detective Virgil Flowers brings to the job.   





I just loved this story about women who have found themselves at unexpected turning points in their lives.   Eve has lost her job as an executive at a manufacturing company.  Sally has decided to leave her suburban life (with husband and house).  They are strangers to one another when they meet on the canal towpath near London. They encounter  Anastasia, a fiercely independent elderly woman who must go into hospital for cancer treatment -- but what do do about her narrowboat?  Eve and Sally volunteer to take the boat north for its annual overhaul. Anastasia can stay in Eve's now-vacant flat during her treatment.  All these decisions are out of character and yet for everyone concerned they are just right.  Over the course of the next six weeks Eve and Sally learn how to pilot a narrowboat along British canals. They meet Anastasia's friends.  And, importantly, they learn that they can reinvent themselves.   

Yes, the boat-journey-to-a-new-life metaphor has been used a lot.  But Anne Youngson's characters are endearing.  She uses turns of phrase that make the reader smile and nod, yes, that's so true.  

(And, P.S., I learned a lot about narrowboats and canals.)  

10 comments:

  1. gosh nann i thought i sewed a lot! such pretty projects every single one! and thanks for book recommendations...reading, sewing and my exercise routine have made the pandemic tolerable...plenty of ideas all around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy! I enjoyed seeing your ongoing projects. Thanks for the book reviews! I’m always on the hunt for a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of nice projects ongoing! Just take one at a time. Narrowboat sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The arrangement on the spare parts project is looking VERY INTERESTING !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Going to a concert. It must have seemed fantastic (whether it was or not although I've heard a couple of fabulous percussionists over my years.) I think your Myers-Briggs must account for all the quilts you finish in a year. Plus, you must sew like a speed demon! Thanks for the heads up on the Nine Patch Square Dance quilt along. I like the block a lot. (But, honestly, do I need another project going? Hum....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lots of blocks for spare parts quilts. I may start making them like the
    gypsy wife quilt and position them on one area of the quilt and fill in the rest with strips. Interesting adventures in quilting!
    Stay safe and sew on .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohm y gosh - all those great projects!! and a concert - how wonderful!! I bet it was just good for your spirits!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SEW many wonderful project, Nann. Oh, how I LOVE your Spare Parts quilt in the works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is the most projects I've ever seen in your blog post at one time. Now I feel the urge to make some Sawtooth Stars "just because". I think I have a UFO that needs some so I may be able to satisfy that urge without starting something new.

    I had a Myers-Briggs over 30 years ago when I was in my 30s at a workshop. I was an ISTJ. I guess that's why as an ISTJ I didn't mind a lockdown - it didn't really change my life much! I wonder if I would still be the same type if I took the test all these years later.

    I used to read the Prey series of books by Sanford but I don't think I read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many projects in the works. The yellows brightened my day. Just what we need to see right now. Your yellow and green Square Dance blocks will make a wonderful quilt. Thanks for the Narrow Boat recommendation. I put it on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.