Sunday, March 14, 2021

A golden anniversary

 Saturday, March 13, was the 50th anniversary of my initiation into Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity.  That date in 1971 was a Saturday, too.  I've kept in touch with some of my pledge sisters and other chapter sisters all these years.  Facebook has renewed connections with many others. 































(I realize that this picture of Alex and me was taken a different year. Her dress and my hair are different. At spring break, 1973, I got my hair cut short, so this was most likely May of '73.  I made my initiation dress. It had six-button cuffs that fastened through corded loops. What a pain those were to sew!) 











A banquet . . . 












, , ,  and, of course, a party!  (Off-campus, of course.) 
 My search for photos from initiation day went from the handy archives (=front hall closet) to the deeper archives (=boxes in the attic).  I found that freshman year scrapbook and a whole lot more that included high school scrapbooks, grade school class pictures, and junior high yearbooks.  I brought a lot of stuff down and will go through it soon.  ("Soon" is a relative term. And I will probably copy some pictures, share some letters and papers, and then box everything up once again.) 






Saddle shoes were a short-lived revival fad  my junior year.  After 45+ years in storage the uppers and soles on this pair have separated.  The striped shirt ("Levis for Gals") was a just-before-college purchase that I wore all four years.  Poly/cotton will last forever. 





Jogging was new in the 70's.  Several us jogged a couple of evenings a week wearing our Alpha Gam-personalized sweatpants.   The "cool" Greek-letter windbreakers were nylon with yellow appliqued letters. I could only afford a poplin jacket with ironed-on letters.  
  




In 1973 I repurposed a pair of overalls into a tote bag and added some groovy embroidery. 


Thanks for joining me on this trip down memory lane!





3 comments:

  1. so fun to go thru all those memories nann...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great memories though. I am trying to decide which one is you in the pictures. I'm thinking your the one on the right in the picture with 2 girls. Your pics remind me a lot of my initiation in Chi Omega in 1970. I've pretty much lost touch with the gals and never joined any alumni clubs. But I have some great memories including of some from one of LA's really strong earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remarkably enough, I was able to pick you out of the group photo at the top of the page! One of my college roommates is an AGD, too. Not sure how much she has kept in touch with her sorority sisters over the years.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.