Friday, December 18, 2020

Friday check in: better with a border -- and on to the next project

 

Not only better, but also bigger.  Note that I made a new block to replace the upper left checkerboard so it's more balanced, as well. 










I came across Kim Diehl's "All in a Row" pattern as I perused the stack of Civil War-themed quilting books and the file of printouts and magazine patterns.  I printed a picture of All in a Row back in 2014 (the printout is dated). Since then I've acquired two Martingale books that feature it.  I figured that was a sign that it's high time to make my own version.   Her blocks are 7.5" finished.  I'm making mine 10.5" finished.  Uses more stash that way, you know. 

Some of you have asked how long I will continue the CWRSRP (Civil War Reproduction Stash Reduction Project).  I began with 239 yards. I have added a few yards (example: the cheddar shown in the checkerboard baskets) and I have a bin of "Civil War-sort of" prints that work nicely with the repros.  I thought I would use half the stash before going on to other things but I have found that purposeful stash busting is slow going. I've made 9 flimsies that use an average of 4-1/4 yards each.  Now I'm thinking about a date rather than a quantity -- as in, December 31.  I am working on the Grassy Creek clues each week.  In January I will be working on a challenge/swap that requires batiks. I'm starting to consider design ideas for that as I work on the CW blocks. 

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday  and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?


11 comments:

  1. Your checkerboard baskets look great with the borders on, Nann! I like the new blocks, too. I think your productivity on the CW project is so amazing - setting a deadline to move on sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basket top is glorious. Amazing how little stash a quilt top actually uses ... as me how I know (LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful how a border makes a top complete! I'll look for that orphaned block when you show us the back.

    Your quilting math differs from mine. I figure smaller blocks mean more 1/4" seams, meaning more fabric needed to make the same sized top. But that's just me, being contrary I guess.

    Hope your holidays are warm, safe, and healthy!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. That border really set the quilt off. Beautiful!!! Love those churn dash blocks with the checkerboard centers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I love this one. Looks like I'll probably love the next one too. I'm glad you paved the way for cw repros because I have some of those to bust too. And, yes, purposeful stash busting is certainly slow going. There's lots and lots of quilts in them there hills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the basket quilt and of course I love checkerboard blocks. The simple border is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree...bigger AND better....and repros are nice but after a while one yearns for bright colors...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt! I really love that you added a border to this quilt. It really takes it to the notch! Love the new blocks! Ten inch blocks will certainly use up a lot of fabric! I don't think I could spend an entire year reducing one kind of fabric. I've only been doing Christmas quilts on and off for 2-3 months and I'm tired of those now! Have a great day and stay well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is just stunning - love the border and the re balanced block! and your new projects - oh man - that one may have to go on my bucket list!! I like the date cut out vs yardage used - less pressure, and more ability to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Cathy said (previous comment), purposeful stash busting is a long haul. I’ve given myself all of 2021 to knock back the scraps in kid quilt making. My hat is off to you in working with the civil war repros. I have one such quilt (blocks already made) to assemble and then a small bagful of scraps when that’s done. Your checkerboard baskets looks much nicer with the replacement block, and the added borders makes it sing! Lovely quilt top, Nann! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finding an alternate block can be a challenge and your checkerboard is fabulous. Between that and the border your quilt looks polished. Another plus is using more of your stash and scraps.
    It's sometimes difficult to stick with a winnowing plan but a date sounds more reasonable than a percentage.
    Merry Christmas. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.