Sunday, November 29, 2020

Weekly update: hikes, Grassy Creek and pinwheels, and cheese

 The parking lot was nearly full when we arrived at Ryerson Woods Conservation Area on Saturday afternoon.   It was another gorgeous day with abundant sunshine and mild temperatures.  


(Note: one more dandelion!)




Brushwood was the Ryersons' house, built in the aerly 1940's.  It's used for courses and exhibits. There's also a modern welcome center (adjacent to the parking lot). None of the buildings is open now because of Covid.  

# # # # 










Alford Park is at the far northern edge of Kenosha. We've driven past it many times but until today we'd never stopped.  The lake was placid.   

Photo:  a perfect piece of beach glass, an interesting plant, looking south, and a gingko leaf. 
(I will spare you the photo of the coho salmon washed ashore.  I've rarely seen fish washed up on the Illinois beaches.)

# # # # # # # #







In the studio:

Grassy Creek, part 1:  X sets of Y HSTs.  (Bonnie Hunter has asked that the dimensions and the quantities not be re-posted.)  I was able to make each set out of a different gray and a different gold.

(They look rather like the gingko leaf on the rocks, don't they?)





This pinwheel variation is featured in a couple of the Civil War Repro books and at least one pattern torn from a magazine. Those are 6" and 4" blocks. I'm choosing to make 8" blocks [finished size]. I have it in mind to make 30.














Confession:  I bought fabric on Saturday!  The LQS had a sale -- and I have a project coming up that requires 1-3/4 to 4-3/4 yards of four fabrics. I can't make it scrappy.   I'll have to keep you in suspense.



# # # # # # #


The book report:  American Cheese, by Joe Berkowitz.

Artisanal cheese is a global gustatory subculture.  Berkowitz reports on cheesemakers, cheesemongers, and competitions in the U.S. and Europe.  His approach is adventurous and his account is lively -- but I admit I felt cheese-logged by the end.    I'm going to seek out specialty cheese shops to sample some of the exotic varieties. 


Linking up with Oh Scrap!    Monday Making  Design Wall Monday



P.S.  Full moon and sunset as we returned from Ryerson. 


6 comments:

  1. Those blocks do look like the Ginko leaf on the beach! What wonderful hikes you have near you! Your pinwheel variation is lovely! I love that new fabric you bought! The fabric at the top looks like it has a lacey design! Have a safe and happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. new fabric? LOL...but no repros i see...very good nann...shows restraint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, gray and gold ... looks familiar! Nice choice of block for the repros.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly getting out and about -- to quiet, uncrowded places from what I can tell. Our out and about is a walk around the block or more blocks. I'm going to enjoy Grassy Creek vicariously. I really don't need another UFO! Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw your spinning stars I thought that you were working on the Bonnie Hunter Unity quilt. Can't wait to see how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am following your blog again and thank you for reaching out. I joined bloglovin again to find happy blogs
    this post is so beautiful! I love it hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.