Friday, November 27, 2020

Friday check in: Thanksgiving hiking and feasting, and Kaleidoscopes II

 Thanksgiving Day here in northeasternmost Illinois was sunny and mild.   We went over the river and through the woods at Sedge Meadow, a relatively new forest preserve that's about six miles from home.  The preserve and trail are relatively small but they connect to the extensive Des Plaines River Trail.  A decades-long project restored farmlands and gravel pits to floodplain and forest. (The name Des Plaines -- pronounced "dess plains" -- is a corruption of Eau Pleine meaning "full of water."  The river is shallow and when it floods it spreads far.  The reclamation/forest preserve mitigates flooding in more settled areas downstream.)

(Note: more dandelions!)

Earlier in the week I boiled our Halloween pumpkins (I don't carve them) which yielded four quart bags of puree, one of which was our Thanksgiving pie. 

By waiting until Monday to buy a turkey I got a bargain -- I paid $10.14 for a 21-1/2-pounder.  The bird was too big for the roaster oven so I had to bake it in the regular oven.  That meant I had to improvise for the side dishes -- I braised the Brussels sprouts and I kept the sweet potatoes warm in the roaster.  [I adapted this recipe for the sweet potatoes.]    I make Mama Stamberg's cranberry relish every year.   

# # # # # #  In the studio:  we watched the documentary Oliver Sacks: His Own Life about the celebrated neurologist and essayist. My husband has read all of his books. (I've read one or two.)  

The Civil War Reproduction Stash Reduction Project has resulted in a box of scraps and a box of leftover units.  I tackled the scraps -- specifically, the leftover kaleidoscope wedges.  The challenge was that the blocks varied from 6.5" to 7".  I framed them with 2" strips and trimmed those blocks to 9.5" and (hooray) used up nearly all of the dull gold/brown print. The sashing used up the last of a red-on-red that was a gift from Vic in New Hampshire.



The flimsy is 67 x 67 and used 4-3/4 yards. 


I'll put the CW repros to the side for the weekend because Bonnie Hunter has published the first clue for Grassy Creek.   HSTs, here I come!

Linking up with 

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? 

Finished or Not Friday



P.S.  The last of the garden tomatoes made it into the salad for our Thanksgiving dinner. 


7 comments:

  1. Looks like a great spit for a hike! We have several places around here in N Colorado that are reclaimed gravel pits with hiking trails and lots of wildlife where we enjoy walking, too. Another beautiful CWR quilt! I like that block, but haven't tried it myself yet. Have fun with the Bonnie Hunter mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kaleidoscope blocks turned into a real winner! So pretty! Sounds as if you had a lovely day. It was cold and heavily overcast here but today is lovely and we got out for a walk. Enjoy the BH mystery. I think I’ll pass again this year but I’ll save the directions. Too may UFOs staring at me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular scenery on your hike, Nann, and a gorgeous quilt top!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re just going gangbusters on using those CW scraps!! Good for you! You know, I used to have a great aunt and uncle who lived in Des Plains, and we visited them a couple times in my youth. Lovely area!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You made a big feast! Love your hiking photos and your CW blocks are so pretty! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you go!! That was a huge turkey!! Lots of *no cook* days for you in the future! LOVE your repros - they are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping for a monster turkey after Christmas, last year I watched a video showing how to break one down because the one I got was so big it wouldn't go into the freezer.

    There's been so much mud here that I'm off walking until it freezes and stops making a mess of my clothing

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.