Sunday, October 25, 2020

Weekly update: enjoying autumn, a finish, and the CWRSRP

 



We added two forest preserves to our Hike Lake County list:  Greenbelt and Lake Carina .  There's a story trail at Greenbelt with pages/pictures from Waiting for Winter along the route.  More late-summer flowers still in bloom. 

In the photo: Sumac, Bouncing Bet (soapwort), ground cherry, dogwood berries, tansy, Queen Anne's lace, and a very persistent dandelion.  



















It was overcast and foggy on Friday.  I stayed closer to home on my walk. I passed a man I knew. He was walking his dog. "How've you been, Miss Nann?" he asked. [That's how people address "their" librarian.] We had a nice chat....distanced, of course. At the train station there was a kid -- maybe 12? taking pictures with his iPad in such a desultory fashion that I could tell he was just killing time. "How are you?" I asked. "Okay," he said. Me: "I'll bet you're tired of remote learning." Boy lit up. "YES! I'M SICK OF IT! I WANT IT TO BE OVER!" Me: "You take care." Boy: "You, too! Be well!"

# # # # # # # #
In the studio: I finished the quilt I'm choosing to call Pinwheel Chain. I used most of the extra units on the back -- just one pinwheel left over for the Parts Department. 7-1/8 yards for top, back, binding.





I've begun the Civil War Repro Stash Reduction Project-- CWRSRP for short -- by making 9" Ohio Stars. I'm aiming for 50 (30 dark and 20 light) but I may change my mind.



# # # # # # # # # #

Florence Adler Swims Forever, by Rachel Beanland, is definitely one of my favorite books of 2020! It is a good story and it is SOOOOO well-written. Set in Atlantic City, 1934, it's about the secrets a family concocts to protect one of their own. Beanland tells the story from multiple viewpoints and the transitions are seamless. I highly recommend it!

The Guest List, by Lucy Foley, has appeared on several must-read lists. And Then There Were None meets Lord of the Flies on the longest-ever destination wedding weekend. I guessed the victim but the murderer was a surprise.


18 comments:

  1. Love those scrappy pinwheels Nann. How nice to get out in nature. It is such a pretty time of year.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally in love with your Pinwheel Chain! I have so many scraps in black, white and gray (and cream and brown), that I’m seriously thinking of using your quilt as inspiration for a late-year quilt (Creature quilt?) in neutrals. The pops of color are the icing on the cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes pinwheel chain is definitely a nann quilt! love it...good luck in busting your repro stash...ROFL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I've said it before, but one can't go wrong with an Ohio Star (unless she puts rotates one of the units ...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such interesting places for hiking and walking. Thanks for sharing. The Pinwheel quilt is really unique and so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your Pinwheel Chain quilt, Nann!! Best of luck paring down the Repro stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely like the Pinwheel Chain. It really is well done. And kudos for using all but 1 pinwheel. I feel for the youngsters doing online schooling. One set of my grands hate it and are always so happy to be freed from it. I'm just extremely happy I'm not having to teach in that situation! It's got to be just as hard on the teachers as the students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely place for a walk, and love the conversations you had along the way! Pinwheel Chain is a great design - I really like the varied background colors you used. Thanks, as always, for the book recommendations! I put Florence Adler on my library hold list. Have you read How the Penguins Saved Veronica? I just finished that one and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. pinwheel chain is a great finish. I like the gray background

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish on the pinwheel, it looks wonderfully scrappy, as do your red blocks. How nice to get out and hike and enjoy nature that way. I haven't been leaving the house much, but really do need some exercise. My first grader grandson is distance learning. I'm not sure how much he complains about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha! You made that splendid Pinwheel top in no time. And I like the traditional Ohio Star in the cw repros. Very nice!

    You sure have a lot of nice places to hike. And I'm impressed you know so many wildflower and weed names.

    My grandkids love online learning. They go through an app called Edgenuity. Two are in HS and another in elementary. One of my granddaughters had been in special ed for years and finally worked her way out of it into mainstream classes. There was too much drama for her in school as well as distractions. She is really flourishing now with the online learning and getting As and Bs. She is better able to concentrate. I was mentoring her for a few weeks and I think when I explained Algebra to her she finally "got it". I am proud of her and thankful she had this online opportunity for learning. The other two grandkids are in TAG and get their learnin' done in just a couple of hours a day. They are all rather quiet and shy like grandma so they don't miss the social interaction that school provides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like the Pinwheel Chain(much better name! )! The CWR quilt is starting out well. You may inspire me to tackle my stash . Lucy Foley looks like a good author to try. I love a mystery! Stay wel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. THank you for the book recommendation! I am anxious to read about Florence. Your ohio stars are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those pinwheels! They're so cheery, and the quilt has wonderful movement.

    Andrea in MO

    ReplyDelete
  15. The top of the backing is one of those fabrics that hangs around. Is it light, is it medium, is it something altogether different if you cut it up small? I tend to pass over the difficult fabrics in favour of something less likely to bite me. The grey in it is perfect with the other backing and the front, what a really good choice you made there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen a story hike but it sounds fun.
    Love your pinwheel chain. What a great way to use scraps. And good choice of backgrounds. There's some reproductions in my stash but not enough to separate out. Aren't we having fun using up our stash this year?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The hike sounds like fun. It's too cold here for that at the moment. Love your Pinwheel Chair, very pretty. Good luck with your stash reduction project. Stash reduction just doesn't seem to work very well for more, I'm so much better at stash enhancement.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.