Sunday, September 27, 2020

Weekly update: a wedding, a finish, and reading

The weather was glorious on Friday -- perfect for the 20th annual Illinois Beach Sunrise Rotary Golf Outing.  It was originally scheduled for May 19 but Illinois was still in shut-down and the golf course wasn't open.   The golf outing committee pivoted very successfully!  The format was changed to two tee times:  9 a.m. and 1 p.m. The banquet and silent auction were eliminated.  Instead morning golfers were offered donuts and coffee and afternoon golfers were offered sack lunches.  There were raffles for cash (50/25/25), a gas grill (donated, of course), and a gift-card-and-lottery-ticket combo.  


The prizes were drawn on Saturday morning on Facebook live.  I won the gift card combo -- $170 in gift cards, $30 in cash, and a bunch of lottery tickets. I scratched them off and won another $62!
Because of all the changes the club expected to make $10,000 -- but the preliminary total is over $25,000!  

Saturday:  another Covid-caused first for us:  a Facebook live recording of the wedding we couldn't attend.  Colin and Becca chose Tekawitha Woods as the site for their wedding yesterday (Sept. 26).  With just the immediate family allowed, Tekawitha was just right.  My sister and her family lived in the Tekawitha site manager's house when she began working for the forest preserve. Colin has many happy memories of those years.   My sister's husband (Colin's stepfather) officiated.  Becca's daughter is officially our great niece.

# # # # # # #

In the studio:  another finish!  I made Big Stars last summer.  I thought I'd go modern and skip a border, but it needed something.  A bright print included all the colors in the star points.   

The blocks are 16" so with the border the quilt is 74 x 90.  The checked fabric on the back is part of an 8-yard piece I got from a quilter's estate circa 2008. I'd take it out and think about using it, then put it back.  Well, there are four yards left for another project!

# # # # # #

I finished one book this week:  The Guardians, by John Grisham.  This legal thriller centers around The Guardians, a nonprofit agency that works to overturn wrongful convictions.  Of course there were twists and turns as the attorney investigated long-covered-up corruption in a small Florida county seat. 

Linking up with Monday Making    Oh Scrap!    Design Wall Monday

P.S.  I won $10 at the 50/25/25 drawing at the GFWC District 10 luncheon on Wednesday.  That plus the Rotary winnings -- maybe I do need to figure out those lottery tickets!




15 comments:

  1. you always have the luck of the irish nann! yes the guardians was excellent...and another pretty scrappy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those scrappy stars. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful finish. Also wow to your winnings. You made quite the haul 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to the happy couple and to YOU on the finish of that cheerful new quilt, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the scrappy stars ! Great use of scraps! Lucky lady with the raffles. You always seem to win! I enjoyed the Grisham novel and now enjoying Miss Graham’s Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely wedding photo! Congratulations to the happy couple! Your scrappy stars quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your scrappy stars! And the border fabric was perfect! Thanks for the book review, I'll order it at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fun week for you. Yep, you need to check on the lottery tickets. I know little about them too. I've only gone in with a group of teachers for one or two of the really big lotteries through the years. And, we never won either. I'd rather buy fabric! The wedding looks wonderful. It's sad for all the folks who planned weddings this year. Love your finish! I might want to try one of those stars... after I start a couple of the quilts I already have fabric pulled for of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fun experience - I love that you could be there... but not ;-) and that big stars quilt... LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. September 26th is my wedding anniversary! They picked a very fortuitous date. :-). The wedding looks like it was lovely; reminded me of the wedding in the forest in the Robin Hood movie from the late 1990s or so? I'm so glad you finished your Big Stars quilt, too -- I love that one and it came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always LOVE your quilts, Nann and this one is just as deserving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice quilt and great win. That border is perfect on the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lucky lady! And good for you.

    I don't remember you making that quilt. I see it's another good way to use square scraps. I'm not sure that borderless = modern because hardly any of my grandmother's quilts had borders. I rarely add borders because I don't like making them. I'd rather make hundreds more blocks than a single border. I know...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are becoming so fast at finishing quilts. I don't remember this one in progress but certainly agree with using older fabric on the back. It takes a lot of mental stamina to only use part of a large piece. Good for you. Best wishes to the bride, groom, and your newest great niece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another fun finish! Using up older fabrics on backings is a nice feeling too. I've been using up some stash that I've not been able to work into a quilt top. Looks like a beautiful wedding. I hope that once we don't have the social distancing, that the virtual wedding thing will hang on a bit. I think especially for older grandparents and younger newly employed family members with little vacation being able to see the wedding virtually would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.