Sunday, September 20, 2020

Weekly update: a finish . . . and acquisitions

Autumn is in the air.  A squirrel left this black walnut at our back door which opens onto the garage. The closest black walnut tree is at the far end of the across-the-street neighbors' yard. 


The smoke from the western wildfires affected the sunrise over Lake Michigan.  (I was never outside at the right time to catch the fire-reddened sunset.) 

In the studio:   I finished quilting Serendipity Strings.  (The design concept came from Lynn/Klein Meisje -- she calls them serendipity snakes.)  The back uses a miscellany of light blue prints. It's approx. 68 x 84. 

.

I used up a lot of 2" strips to make 60 HeartStrings blocks.  I have lost count of how many HS blocks I've made over the years. 

You will note that I wrote about what fabric I used.  Here is the flip side:  the fabric I acquired!

On Thursday I went to a quilt estate sale.  "I'm Mary," said the woman who answered the door. She explained that she had come from her home in Idaho to help her brother-in-law dispose of his wife/her sister's quilting stash.  Mary's a quilter, too, and we had a very pleasant conversation while I shopped. Fabric less than 1 yard was $4 per piece and fabric more than 1 yard was $5 per piece.  That meant that fat quarters were pricey but yardage was a deal. I opted for the deal.  "Since you're getting this much fabric," she said, "you can take any books and patterns for free."  I had only $112 in my wallet -- good thing I had not gotten more cash earlier! -- but I restrained myself on patterns (and passed on all the books).   I got 46 yards in all. Two of the pieces turned out to be vintage (36" wide) gems.  I also got the X-blocks template as one of the free offerings.  
These are the vintage prints -- 3 yds 30 in. and 2+ yds. 

I stopped at an estate sale here in town on Saturday when all the goods were 75% off. These Hawaiian shirt scraps -- 11 yds by weight -- were $1.00.

About 15 years ago my guild's quilt show committee put out a call for sleeves to cover the long wooden upright poles on the quilt display stands. Each sleeve was 6" x 126" -- that is, three 6" x WOF sewn end-to-end.  I spent hours during Christmas break making sleeves (I think I made more than 60).  The years have passed and the quilt show committee has new members. They've decided to abandon the wooden displays and instead rent pipe-and-drape from a commercial company. (The stands were a pain to assemble and disassemble. The husband who took charge of that entire process has moved (with his wife!) out of state.)  At our last guild Zoom meeting it was announced that the box of sleeves would be thrown out "unless anyone wants them."  You know where this is going, don't you?  I couldn't bear the thought of perfectly usable quilt fabric being pitched. 


The processing is rather tedious.  I'm cutting each sleeve into three WOF-length pieces, pressing them flat, cutting off the seam, and then pressing open. After all that's done I'll weigh them to figure our how much yardage there is. (And, yes, I recognize some of the fabric that I thought I'd gotten rid of forever in that long-ago holiday sewing spree.) 

# # # # # # 
This week's reading:  I finished Manitou Canyon, #14 in the Cork Corcoran series by William Kent Krueger.  In 2020 I've gradually been listening/relistening to the series in order. Just three more to go!
I have just 30 more pages in Miss Graham's Cold War Cookbook by Celia Rees.  In 1946 Edith Graham is recruited by the SOE (Special Operations Executive) to catch a Nazi war criminal whom she'd known before the war.  Her cover was teaching school to refugees.  Her messages to her SOE superiors were encoded using a cookbook. 

14 comments:

  1. you always find the best estate sales nann! congrats on your new additions...and thanks for the book review...itching to get back to my machine later this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Serendipity Strings! Looks like I need to follow Lynn and learn her techniques! I always love seeing what you're reading - just put Miss Graham on my library hold list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did that squirrel really think that was a good hiding place???? And that it would still be there in the middle of winter when he was hungry??? They may outsmart us in some things but I really wonder about their hiding theories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE Serendipity Strings, Nann!! The "breathing room" between the bands was a nice touch. Sweet deals at the fabric sales!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serendipity Strings is a fun way to use those small strips. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to recover donated fabric from years ago, even if it is a pain to recover it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recovering all those sleeves will make some interesting strips! I’m curious to see how you decide to use them or give them away . Your sale finds are amazing. It’s a good thing I don’t live close enough to follow you on those excursions. Thanks for the book suggestions. I started Miss Graham’s Cookbook last night and it’s a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow those are great deals! I never do garage or estate sales as I am afraid to find too much "have to have it" items--and nowhere to put them! Enjoy your time petting and admiring these new to you wonders :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. is it possible to use the sleeve pieces in a similar way as you did the serendipty strings. maybe for a backing? maybe not as much 'reverse stitching'. just a thought. patti in florida

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new-to-you fabric and commiserations on getting your old stuff back. You have been so prolific. Serendipity Strings is a good combination of strings and stash. I realize I spend much more time working from my scrap bag than anything else.
    I put Celia Rees' book on my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great buy! Hopefully you got some big pieces to use as backing. I can’t wait until you decide what to do with the Hawaiian shirts fabric. Let me know iF you need some ideas about the x ruler. I’ve made one quilt with mine and have the book (which I got when someone offered it at the guild for free or a minimum payment). Enjoy your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny about that black walnut and your retrieval of those sleeves. Good for you to never let any fabric go to waste.

    You certainly are the queen of estate sales. Looks like a thrifty haul.

    Serendipity Strings looks like a scrappy winner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How does one find out about these estate sales, Nann? What treasures, indeed! Your string blocks are glorious and I don't blame you for not wanting to call your quit anything with SNAKES in the title -- good grief; who wants to cuddle up with SNAKES?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your Serendipity Strings! You certainly have been working through lots of scraps. Perfectly understandable that you need to refresh the stash. Those vintage prints are really fun.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.