Sunday, August 9, 2020

Weekly update: wildflowers, wall hangings, and reading




I was up early Sunday morning and caught the sunrise over Lake Michigan at 5:52 a.m.  That's 38 minutes later than the solstice on June 22.










On the way home I stopped at Spring Bluff Forest Preserve and took photos of some of the wildflowers.

Left:  mullein, blue vervain, and prairie coneflower. Top right: primrose. Middle right: tall coreopsis ("tall" is part of the name).
Bottom left: a pretty array. Center: bergamot aka monarda aka bee balm. Right:  Queen Anne's lace.

# # # # # # # # # #
In the studio:   after I finished Triangle Endeavour (see the previous post) I began working in earnest on my OMG for August:  three wall hangings.  Two of them need to be comparable -- not identical, but the same design. 
 Last week I tried an applique pattern but I wasn't happy with the way that was going.  These 4-1/2" unf. cake stand blocks were easy and fun to make.  My aim was no duplicate fabrics in one wall hanging.  I fussed and fussed with the color balance.  Then I fussed with choosing the setting and border fabrics.  In the end, I think they turned out well. Now, to quilt them!    The flimsies are 30 x 32 and each used 1 yard each.

                                                          There are a few extra blocks. :) 

# # # # # # # # # #   I took three grocery totes of review copies to Half Price Books and got $58.90.  "These are really nice books," the clerk said.  . What I had to sell were more specialized than what the library's in-the-lobby sale rack stocks -- and it was nice to get cash for books that were sent to me to review.   I didn't buy anything at HPB but I went to DSW and bought three pairs of shoes and then to Joann's to buy a king-sized W&N batt for the wedding quilt.


My reading this week:   Frederic Hill is one of my husband's college classmates. He was a journalist and Washington, DC, political staffer. "Dereliction of Duty:the Failed Presidency of Donald J. Trump" is a compilation of newspaper columns about the current president, going back to the campaign of 2016.
"The Distant Dead" was published this spring.  It's a mystery set in a small town in northern Nevada.  Misfits, murder, earning trust, and coming to terms with the past -- all add up to a very absorbing story. I recommend it!
"The Emperor of Shoes" is an advance copy from ALA Midwinter 2018 that I finally got around to.  Alex is the heir-apparent to his family's shoe factory that originated in Eastern Europe, brought to the U.S., and for 30 years operating in China. Father/son tension, progressive ideas to improve working conditions for the Chinese laborers, and a love story.

Linking up with Oh, Scrap!
 Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday

P.S. A purple coneflower among the rudbeckia (black-eyed Susans) in our garden.







8 comments:

  1. Hum, why did you want three similar quilt tops. The ones shown are great. I admit I didn't check to see where they are different...wait, i went back to look... different backgrounds really make them look different. Interesting. I can't imagine getting up so early. I'm a night owl. Hubby gets up early to walk and always invites me. No thank you, I'd rather go out in either the evening or the afternoon. None of this 6:30 am stuff for me! Is Half Price Books a local store? Chain? Online? I trade books for credit at a used book store in Richmond but I'll never use all of my credit. It is good when I want to read a whole series of books though. I need to see if there is a similar store locally. I'm listening to an older book, Merle's Door. I started it soon after it came out but never finished it. It works well to listen to it as I sew. Must get back to listening to it as it is due in a week! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our primrose is a flower of early spring, long gone now.

    I'm impressed with the book recycling, all that space regained and cash as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah those cake stand blocks are fun and quick to me....i love both your little quilts...and love the sunrise over the water...i'll be there myself in 23 days...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please explain why you had to make more than one.

    Our book recycling place is McKay's; I don't know if they are a chain outside of TN. They also take CDs, DVDs, puzzles, and games. I recycled a bunch of books when we last moved. They put all the books they didn't think they could sell in a "free" box out front. I took the cash; like Bonnie, I didn't think I could ever use all the credits. I have gotten several quilting books there for next-to-nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad the library isn’t accepting books as I’m sure the sale of them is a great fund raiser. Oh the new world we’re living in! Yes, tell us why you need to mak three quilts that a similar. I’m sure you have a good story! The other photos are lovely,. I especially love seeing the wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the second person I've seen making those lovely cake stand blocks. I enjoy making similar but not exact copies of quilts but mine are usually baby quilts. It helps set the design and techniques in my mind. And it lets me play with color and fabric more.
    I hadn't realized how much the days are shortening. It's still so hot here.
    I hope you weren't badly impacted by the recent storms. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! Congrats on the two wall hangings, they look great.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.