Sunday, August 30, 2020

Weekly update: current events, beautiful weather, and a new flimsy


It's been quite a week.  We live eight miles directly south of Kenosha where last Sunday evening a police officer shot a young black man seven times. Protests, looting, and fires followed.  We have not ventured to downtown Kenosha to see the damage.  We watched only snippets of the Republican National Convention and relied on the PBS Newshour for reporting and analysis. (And I watched Stephen Colbert's witty summaries, too.)

There was respite in nature.  Lake Michigan was placid and the water is still warm.   


I was going to the ravine on my walk and saw movement next to a culvert -- this frog!  It's been so dry that I don't know why the short ditch had any water in it.  You can see how low the water in the creek is. 

Despite the drought, jewel weed (aka touch-me-not) is blooming in profusion in the shady ravine. 



In the studio:  I'm caught up on quilting must-dos but I wanted to sew something. Here's the result. The churn dash blocks are 9.5" unfiinished.  It was fun to choose random contrasting fabrics.  

I finished listening to Windigo Island, #14 in the Cork Corcoran series by William Kent Krueger. Though Cork and his family live in Aurora, Minnesota (a fictional town near the Boundary Waters), the action of this tale went from the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior (Bayfield, Wisconsin) to Williston, North Dakota.  I've been to both those places but under more pleasant circumstances than this mystery which dealt with trafficking Native American girls.  (The good guys triumphed, of course.)  
xx
One Year of Ugly is about a Venezuelan family who are illegally living in Trinidad. This was not as riotously funny as the reviewers made it out to be but it was interesting.book cover of One Year of Ugly

Linking up with Oh Scrap! 
Design Wall Monday 

......as you can tell, I'm still struggling with the new Blogger.... 

  

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on being caught up on your quilting must-dos, Nann. I am SEW jealous!! I currently have a list about a mile long. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could send you some of the rain we've had. Today was a beautiful day low humidity and low 80s. I don't think we are through with the summer heat though. I really like your churn dash. It's one of my favorite blocks -- so versatile. I finished reading The Queen's Secret recently. Thanks for the recommendation. I found it fascinating. I need to find other books by Karen Harper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your churn dash flimsy! Also, I didn’t realize you were that close to Kenosha. Scary times. My only reading this week has been the manuscript my older son has finished (after 10 years). This is the third draft, and I’m one of his beta readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our temps are slowly coming down but the humidity is still stifling. We didn't get as much of Laura's remnants as we had thought, though. I am joining a neighborhood book club next year so would welcome any suggestions. My reading (actually listening) is pretty much limited to light-hearted mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got a bit of rain from Laura but not enough. All that 90 degree weather has really dried us out. But that’s August in the Midwest! One wonders how much of the violent protests are due to outside agitators who are looking to stir trouble for their own reasons. Your churn dash flimsy is wonderful! I just finished Linda Costillo’s latest , Outsider. I’m a mystery fan so she is one I enjoy. I’m about half way through Phillipa Gregory’s Tidelands but it moves very slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being caught up! Yea!
    I also like Stephen Colbert! He's a riot!
    Beautiful photos!
    Take care and be safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your new flimsy! I'll have to look for Wm. Kent Krueger's new book. I've loved all his stories. Stephen Colbert was the only way I could keep up with the last four years of the Trump presidency.....a little bit of sugar helps the medicine go down. Lately, though, I've become a newshound. I am astounded by the Kenosha news.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.