Sunday, August 23, 2020

Weekly update: I surprised myself






Today is our 40th wedding anniversary.  We are still smiling. :)  I made a quiche for a celebratory breakfast.    


I

# # # # # # #In the studio:  

'Taint perfect but 'tis finished!  I can't believe it, either.  I kept going and going -- no fussing, no fretting.  I think I'll call it Spontaneous Spiderweb.   


The back used up some of the larger pieces of 30's fabrics that I still had. 
Here's what's left. 


And here's what I *need* to work on:  the mini quilt for the teal swap.  The required fabric is the 10" teal square.   You get just a hint of the pattern because this is a surprise for my assigned swap partner.

This week's reading was mixed.  I didn't like The Last Tourist by Olen Steinhauer at all. I kept reading because I thought it would get better. It didn't. It's a cat-and-mouse spy thriller with too many characters to keep track of. (And not very pleasant characters at that.)
The Lady of Sing Sing by Idanna Pucci was interesting. In 1895 Maria Barbella, an Italian immigrant in New York, killed her two-timing lover. She was jailed in The Tombs (Manhattan). The trial was a shambles--she didn't speak English, the interpreters were inept, the public defenders were not helpful. She was convicted, sentenced to death, and sent to Sing Sing.  Cora Slocomb, the New Orleans-born wife of Italian count Detalmo Brazza, took up Maria's cause. She joined forces with the women's prison matron at The Tombs and the Sing Sing adminstrator's wife. They successfully advocated for a retrial.  It was determined that Maria was in the throes of an epileptic fit when she slashed her lover's throat (and that he was indeed unfaithful and did not intend to marry her). She was acquitted --and disappeared, or so it seemed. Idanna Pucci is Cora Slocomb's great-granddaughter.  This book was first published in 1995. The new edition includes an very interesting update about the discovery of Maria's descendants, thanks to the internet.  


 The Lady of Sing Sing: An American Countess, an Italian Immigrant, and Their Epic Battle for Justice in New York's Gilded Age by [Idanna Pucci]Linking up with Oh Scrap!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary! It's good you're still smiling! I love your spiderweb quilt - that's a design I've always been fascinated with, but never tried. And it's always interesting to see what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 30s leftover stash is about the same size as mine. I just haven't seen the perfect pattern to use or I would have less to store.

    Happy Anniversary! Both of my kids celebrate their 36th this year. Time sure does fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no you didn’t! I can’t believe you finished the spiderweb quilt already!! It’s gorgeous!! Congratulations on your 40th anniversary! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 40 years. So glad you are still smiling! The spider web is amazing... and done. (Maybe that's the most amazing part!) Do you ever sleep? I figure you have to stitch 24/7 to keep finishing all of your projects the way you do. I like your new pull and will keep an eye out to see the finish, um, will that be tomorrow? ;-) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! I was never enamored with 30s fabrics, I don't know why. My remainders fit in a shoebox-sized container.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Lots of fabric passing under your needle, the spiderweb quilt looks great. Thanks for the book review, very intriguing story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a great book! i'm reading an adrian mckinty ...love the spider web....thinking about one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!
    Gosh, I thought that Spider Web was going to be a leisurely no rush, no deadline, take it easy quilt! To me that means it will take years not days. Congrats on a superb finish whatever the pace. You know I love 30s!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your anniversary! The spider web quilt is really cute! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! I love the Spiderweb quilt. I’ve made one and they are so fun, and addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! And such a beautiful spiderweb quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary. How nice that you are still smiling. Your photo is lovely - so young and thrilled. We were the last generation to marry with such modest gowns... and to have our receptions in the Fellowship Hall. Those were the days!
    Spiderweb is wonderful. How nice that it went together quickly. Of course, I love the Coin border.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that top sure looks familiar!
    http://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2018/12/ca-bound-2-teal-string-spiderweb.html
    Happy anniversary!!

    C-in-Albany (for now)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the big milestone AND the quilting finish! Both accomplishments are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.