Monday, July 27, 2020

Weekly update: inches to spare

Our church has begun in-person worship again.  Every other pew is blocked off and people must wear masks and sit only with their spouses/families.  It's a good thing we have a large sanctuary and a small congregation.  They are also continuing to  tape a version of the service that is on YouTube at the same time as the in-person service.  I went to church and set up the computer at home for my husband.  (His allergies make mask-wearing a challenge.  Now that I've seen what in-person is like I think he can try it next week.)

I multi-tasked on Saturday morning. I had a 2-1/2 hour Zoom webinar that I needed to attend.  I set up the laptop in my studio and cut and sewed while the audio/video were muted. It was easy to take notes when I needed to.

It was so hot on Sunday that other than going to church I didn't leave the house. It was too hot even to sit in the shade on the patio to read.  I wasn't about to go to the beach which I'm sure was crowded.    I spent the afternoon sewing, of course, while I finished listening to Trickster's Point, #12 in the Cork Corcoran series by William Kent Krueger.  (I have read or listened to many of these mysteries but this spring I began again with the audio from #1, and taking them in order.)


The 30-patch blocks are a flimsy!  I auditioned a variety of batiks for the border but none of the larger pieces had the color balance I had in mind.  I dug deeper and found a black batik that was 45" long -- almost enough but not quite. What to do?
The half-blocks were just enough.

These scraps are all that was left.

Linking up with Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday









# # # # # # #
 Interlibrary loan is back among the 26 libraries in our consortium so I *finally* got Faster -- I placed the reserve in March, just before the shutdown.  It's about a Jewish Grand Prix driver who thwarted Nazi efforts to dominate the circuit in the late 1930's.  I didn't know much at all about auto racing in that era -- I was more interested in the social history. Very interesting.

The Glass Hotel is an advance copy from ALA Midwinter. It was published in March. The ripples created by a crooked financier's Ponzi scheme spread across continents and decades.

The new novel by Anne Tyler is also checked out from the library (yay!)   Tyler's descriptions of quirky people and their Baltimore neighborhoods are crystalline in their precision -- just enough to envision the scene.  Redhead by the Side of the Road has enough tension to keep the reader guessing -- and a happy ending.

12 comments:

  1. Love that quilt... great fabrics!! and isn't it so nice to go back to church? I know it makes me feel better... have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flimsy looks great! Those half blocks in the border really add to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty quilt! Good solution on the border.....makes for a very “modern” look! I like William Kent Kruger also and have enjoyed may of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flimsy looks wonderful!! Love the black border with the added piecing.

    Also love Ann Tyler's books. I will need to check this one out - I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice quilt nann....too hot here for anything outside but great sewing weather! me i'm waiting on my first cork mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when a solution is found for not quite enough fabric. Most of the time the fix enhances the quilt and takes it out of the ordinary. Your's really fits that description -- out of the ordinary. It looks wonderful. I don't think our library is open except for reserves. But I am reading (and listening) through the online choice. Keeps me engaged. Hum, I think I need to get The Queen's Secret (per your recommendation.) I think it is an audio book which works well when I'm in the studio. Take care and have a quilty week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! Such a great feeling when you finish a quilt and just sneak by with the fabric you have in your stash...and it is beautiful. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting to the flimsy stage--doesn't that feel great? Nice warm colors in this one--hugs from afar julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blinked and there was a flimsy! Magic! I knew you would have a flimsy in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pop of color in your border is fantastic! I love it! Thanks for sharing your books - I added Redhead to my Want to Read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good solution to your border. It sets the blocks off very well.
    We are still online only church services and I doubt I will attend in person for quite a while.
    I sewed during my last webinar but found it meant I didn't pay enough attention to the speaker. Next time I'll bring a notebook instead and stay on task. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you didn’t waste anytime with that quilt top, did you? Great addition to the black border too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.