Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Midweek: design considerations

My next project is a wall hanging.  Two wall hangings, actually, for the immediate past co-presidents of the Zion Woman's Club.  I want to use the same pattern and similar colors and I want to use batiks.
That's the plan, anyway.

(c) Piece o' Cake Designs
I found a design by Piece O'Cake (Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins). It was published in American Patchwork & Quilting, June, 2009.  They specialize in hand applique but I'm converting the pattern to fusible.


This is their quilt. It uses a preprinted checked background.










This is my work in progress.  The background is offwhite batik.

I want to make all four flowers the same. The four flowers shown here are possible color combinations. 

I added a round of petals.


Here are a variety of other color combinations.

The berries don't need to be red. They can
be purple or blue or orange.



Center flower possibilities.

(A note:  the original pattern calls for eight little wedges to be cut out and individually appliqued.
I cut wedges out of a circle leaving them attached to the center. Much easier.)

What color combination appeals to you?

Linking up with Midweek Makers at Susan's Quilt Fabrication.

6 comments:

  1. They are ALL pretty combos;))-- but I like the rose on that blue with the yellow center--(mid bottom row)--looks so fresh --maybe with blue berries? That is a difficult choice you have to make...good luck--nice project
    hugs from the AC --still pretty hot here--although, a little less humid...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. both are nice but i agree, the red with blue and yellow centers inch out over the other...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would use all four flowers in the same colors or not. Since you've already cut out so many, see how it looks with four different (but simpatico) combinations. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to make a very pretty floral quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already sent you my preference but now I think I like the berries how they are, the purple/red/yellow center on right and the yellow/purple/red center for the center.

    Or maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the change to blue berries with your fabulous red and cream background check. Thanks for the tip about keeping the wedges attached. Piece o' Cake make beautiful quilts but some of their techniques are very time consuming.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.