Monday, May 25, 2020

Weekly update: OMG finished + all the houses




I am an inexpert gardener, but I love to cook with fresh vegetables, so every year I buy tomato plants, seedlings, and seeds.  Ever hopeful!

It was in the high 80's Sunday afternoon when I walked in Spring Bluff Forest Preserve.  I saw a crane, five egrets, and many red-winged blackbirds.  Most of the people I saw were on bicycles, heading farther east to the marina.




# # # # # # # #









My OMG for May is finished.  It's a tote bag for the outgoing chair of the Illinois P.E.O. Home Fund . P.E.O.'s colors are white and yellow and the flower is the marguerite, or daisy.

I used the left over flying geese to trim the pocket.






I will send this to the other committee member who will add treats and send it to the chair who should receive it by the time we have our virtual (Zoom) meeting on June 6 -- since the state convention was cancelled.





I finished the Shelter in Place houses!  Here are all 91 on the design wall. (Those on the right side are just stuck there because the design wall isn't high enough to make them the bottom row.)  A 9 x 10 setting will be 72 x 80. With a 5" border, 82 x 90 -- which would work for a  queen-sized bed. But I have another design idea . . .



I tidied up the mountain of scraps and FQs I pulled out to make the houses.

Monday link ups:  Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
One Monthly Goal

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...




# # # # # # #
The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires was a hoot!



18 comments:

  1. I am with you on the garden front.... I put stuff in the ground this weekend for the first time in more then several years...
    High Desert
    40 degree temperature changes in a day and night
    Wind... not breezes
    and this year it looks like deer may be joining the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the marguerites on your bag; they are such happy delicate flowers!
    They are beautifully balanced by the flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 91 houses. I hope this means things are opening up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deer decimate any plants I have put in the ground here; except
    for daffodils and marigolds...they even ate my roses despite the thorns...so Farm market s for me...S I G H

    That book looks like a fun read...and don't we all need that right now?
    thanks for sharing...

    Your houses ("It takes a whole village" for sure) look amazing...
    I will be waiting to see what your "other" idea could be...
    ~ ~ ~ waving my little flag Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty tote bag! The house quilt is a winner! Such a great memory of an interesting time

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have "built" some pretty houses. Great job on the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of eye candy today. The tote bag looks great. I don't think to put black, white and yellow together but I really like those colors as you've put them together. And your houses! I think you could continue to make them because I think we are going to be seeing the results of Covid for a long time. I think our state is going to mandatory masks as of sometime this week. On the other hand except for a afternoon walks, we where them when we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am planning on having a small garden this year too, but it has either been raining or super hot. Your houses look wonderful! I look forward to seeing your design idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nann, I absolutely love the tote bag for your Chair! She’s going to be over the moon upon receipt. I have been making little houses as my leader/ender project and just got them up on my design wall. I only have 34 so far, but they whip up pretty quickly once they are cut out. I don’t have a lap quilt for my Texas stay, so I think that his will be 'the one'. Every year I say I’m going to make one for myself, and I never do. Good luck with your veggies! Nothing better than tomatoes right out of the garden. I used to have huge vegetable gardens, but not so much anymore. Take extra special care!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only gardening I do is a few pots of flowers, never had much luck with veggies in the past. Wishing you success! Love the bag, what great details in the interior. I just finished a big scrap cutting clean up too--exhausting to get all that put away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tote bag is sure to please the recipient. Love the flying geese in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely tote, I am sure the outgoing chair will appreciate it. You have a beautiful neighborhood - all homes are so well-maintained :-) Since the quilt needs just 90, what are you going to do with the one extra house? Stay safe, Nann.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome tote bag. Love the fabrics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely tote. Your president will love it, especially once everyone else adds goodies inside. What a clever memento for her.
    I planted beans, squash and radishes this year for the first time in years. We shall see how they grow.
    Of course, the house blocks look lovely. It will be fun to see your new layout.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you were able to get out for a nice walk. We got to do that last weekend, it was so nice after just walking the neighborhood for the last 9 weeks. The bag is gorgeous, your outgoing chair will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to grow vegetables as well. Nothing better than homegrown tomatoes! Love your tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness, how I love your house quilt! I've been wanting to make one with scraps for a very long time, and I think I like what you've done best of everything I've seen! It will be beautiful! Can't wait to see your design idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your house quilt is amazing. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.