Sunday, May 24, 2020

#thedailybrooch, part 4



(The latest installment of a Facebook project in which I select one pin from my jewelry box each day and recall how I got it.) 



May 14: A little Italian mosaic. Not sure when I got it but I’ve had it a long time.











May 15: One of my favorites. It’s glass and was a gift from my trustee friend and his wife. I saw one just like it in a shop on Nantucket (Road Scholar, 2003) but I didn’t get the name of the artist.












May 16: A pair of jolly little snowmen—scatter pins that I got in third grade. When was the last time you’d even thought of “scatter pins”?














May 17: Flying Geese in clay, stamped Veronique on the back. I have made hundreds of flying geese units over the years but never an entire quilt with this three-goose configuration. (It’s going to rain all day. Should I start something new?)















May 18: A seascape in miniature on clay depicts the sun shining on a boat in the water. There is a lot of flooding in the area after yesterday’s rain but we haven’t had to resort to a boat. (From my trustee friend and his wife who got it in Mineral Point, WI. (I still have the box.))











May 19: A silver feather from the Smithsonian shops. A gift from my husband.















May 20: Sunshine this morning! #thedailybrooch is a heart from 1970. I remember wearing it with a maxi-dress that had a white bodice and a black and white skirt. All polyester, of course!
















May 21: Copper enamel, from an estate sale. I like the colors.........Mid-day update: when I was at the grocery store I heard a "plink" and discovered that the pin had detached from the pin back. I found the pin on the floor, put it in my purse, and completed my grocery shopping with only the back pinned to my shirt. 🙂










May 22: Felt, bought at the Fine Art of Fiber show at Chicago Botanic Garden in 2006. It was just right for the jacket I made from fabric I got that summer at the New England Quilt Show in Lowell, MA. (That was the Magpies’ biennial meetup.)















May 23: A shard of old Chinese porcelain set in silver, from my trustee friend and his wife. The jacket is made from South African indigo shweshwe fabric which I discovered at the Lowell quilt show in 2006 (see yesterday’s post). I've acquired a lot of shweshwe at subsequent quilt shows.












May 25: The sun rises on a book with a castle. (Faux ivory, caption The Joy of Books / K. Clelland.) The sun is shining at our castle (humble cottage) today.

3 comments:

  1. I had forgotten they were called scatter pins. I think I still have a couple pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection of pins you have. I also have many pins. Yours are really unusual and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.