Monday, May 18, 2020

Weekly update: more of the same

We took advantage of the sunshine Saturday to harvest rhubarb from a church acquaintance's yard. (She offered it last year and I took her up on it. I called her again and she said we were welcome to it. She's 94 and isn't leaving her house these days.) 
I trimmed it outside.  
Each quart bag
holds 4 cups.

We also bought geraniums, petunias, and other flowers at the garden/produce stand just over the state line.  I'll go back next weekend to get tomatoes.

Just as forecast, it poured all day Sunday.  Our sump pump drained just fine, thank goodness.

# # # # # # # # #
I pushed to finish Rainbow Rail Fence last week.  It felt so good to have a finished quilt! (The previous finish was six weeks prior.)   I made some progress on other projects.

I made 60 masks and cut pieces for 40 more -- my commitment to the library.



Here are the next Shelter in Place houses.  My first plan was to make a house for each day from March 15 to May 31 to represent the Illinois shutdown.  As we all know, reopening dates are not firm.  I'm still having fun making the blocks (fun in a pandemic!) so I'm going to keep going to the equivalent of June 15. That's 93 blocks which will work for a 9 x 10 setting (extras on the back) -- 72" x 80" without borders.



This is as far as I've gotten with the tote bag that's my May One Monthly Goal.  I will get going this week!

Monday link ups:  Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
# # # # # #
The QueenReading report:  I finished listening to Vermilion Drift, #10 in the Cork Corcoran series by William Kent Krueger.  By listening (or re-listening) to them in order I appreciate the character development and the arc of the story.

I'm nearly finished reading The Queen's Secret by Karen Harper, published in April. I got the ARC at ALA Midwinter.  It's about Queen Elizabeth--the Queen Mum--during World War II.  We've seen enough PBS shows about the Windsors and we've watched The Crown so some of the story is familiar territory, but told from a different viewpoint. (And, yes, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon had several secrets.)

11 comments:

  1. I love seeing your little houses! I think I just might make some houses when I am with my stash again! (we are in the process of moving!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those little house. I’m sorry I didn’t start a project like that at lockdown but I’ve been busy trying to get a long delayed graduation quilt together. I appreciate the book recommendations! Always looking for something interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little houses are most charming. You took great pains with finding fun elements and fussy cutting for the windows. It will be an adorable quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh rhubarb...i'll take a pie...lol...and yes quilters do have fun in a pandemic...or as susan branch calls it 'damn panic'....thanks for the book recommendations...still working on those you sent...you are my very own book angel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute houses--nice distraction from the news for sure. It seems to be an all or nothing period in the sewing room for quarantine folks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a little rhubarb patch. I've made a couple of desserts and a rhubarb bread so far. I also have a strawberry patch full of blossoms right now so there may be a strawberry rhubarb pie in my future.

    Those houses are going to make for a cute memory quilt.

    Finished News of The World on your recommendation. I enjoyed it and look forward to Simon the Fiddler one of these days. I just downloaded three books to my Kindle from Prime Reading list but can't remember the names of them or the name of the book I'm reading now. I do most of my reading in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in awe of your mask production. I have started making them again. I'm going back to the pleated ones with elastic as I have some round elastic and pieces cut out from weeks ago. Might as well give them another try. Rhubarb reminds me of Knotts Berry Farm in Anaheim, Ca. They served stewed rhubarb with their dinners. And, I'm pretty sure I had rhubarb pie there too. Have fun with your houses and your rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been busy. I am still waiting for some supplies for my garden but hope to get it going before summer starts. Hahaha.
    I still love your houses. What a good idea to commemorate this time.
    Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing others putting up rhubarb! We have one huge plant that supplies us (and our Cousin Kim and her family) with all we can handle. I make strawberry-rhubarb compote, a family tradition handed down from my Hungarian grandmother. Last week I made a rhubarb-raspberry pie, plus I’ve been freezing bagsful too. Your house blocks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, another squirrel, I like your houses. May just start making some of THESE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little houses are so cute. I am tempted to make some myself.....it’s hard to stay focused on one project when I see all the linkups on Design Wall Mondays. Thanks for participating, Judy

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.