Sunday, May 3, 2020

#thedailybrooch Part 2


April 24 -- Butterfly series, part 2: I was the secretary of the Pilot Club when I lived in Brenham in the 1970's. (It's a women's service organization like Altrusa or Zonta.) The pin was the president's thank you gift when her term ended. (Presumably the other officers got pins, too.) It's an inexpensive trinket -- shells on gold-plated metal, made in Taiwan -- but I've always liked it.











April 25-- A 19th century button with Kate Greenaway characters. The button shank was removed when the brooch was created. It was a gift from my mother in the late 1990's, probably purchased at a museum gift shop.








April 26 --In the style of Pennsylvania Dutch fraktur paintings. I got this at one of the shops in the Reading Terminal Market at an ALA Midwinter long, long ago.








April 27-- A rose-breasted green-winged blue tail on a sunny Monday. It was a gift from Natalie Andreas who taught GED/ABE at the library in Brenham. She was also a great flea market shopper—this was the 70s when flea markets had really cool stuff. I learned a lot about antiques and vintage decor from her, not the least of which was redwork embroidery.








April 28 --I could not resist purchasing this little brooch at an art gallery on Granville Island, Vancouver, BC. Her bag says, "More fabric." [Her arms are akimbo, implying: "More fabric? So there!"] We were in Vancouver in 2004 (yikes--16 years ago!) for a Road Scholar "signature city" tour, followed by the Magpies' biennial in-person meetup.






April 29 -- Since I had a P.E.O. errand that morning  this daisy was appropriate. It was an estate sale purchase. I can imagine the original owner pinning it on to her early 1970s dress....or maybe a polyester pantsuit.











April 30 -- the AAUW branch in River Falls made “diversity dolls” pins as a fundraiser. I got this at the regional conference in Madison in 2004. I wear it fairly often because I like the colors (and I value the sentiment).










May 1 --  Purchased at an ALA conference several years ago. The books look like my TBR pile which does not appear to be much diminished, even after six weeks of stay-at-home.








May 2 --  A Frank Lloyd Wright design element from the Dana Thomas House in Springfield, though I purchased it at a gift shop at one of the other houses. (I did tour Dana Thomas the day it reopened after restoration. That was in 2009. I was in Springfield for Library Legislative Day, then went to Decatur for the AAUW convention. Every time I have a meeting downstate I wish I could spend more time sightseeing.)





May 3 --  Enamel on copper. A garage sale purchase, I’m sure, when we lived in Maine. There was a pair of matching screw-back earrings that I thought I would convert to wires, but I never did.

Jason Schoener was a Maine artist of note.  The Schoener property is a preserve.  



And there are more pins in my jewelry box!



3 comments:

  1. Lovely collection! I have a few brooches I've saved for sentimental reasons, but I never wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many in your collection do you know? looks like you need a kate smith size chest...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of brooches, too, but I think mine pales in comparison to yours. That would be a fun thing - a brooch link up where we could all photograph some of our faves and tell their stories in a blog post. Hope you’re staying safe and healthy! xo

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.