Monday, April 20, 2020

Weekly update: progress and something new





I finished the RSC rail fence blocks -- 46 in each of the ten colors.  They are 3-1/2".


These house-block mug rugs are my April OMG.
They are 8 x 10, somewhat larger than usual for mug rugs. The block is 6" finished and I didn't want to fiddle around with scaling it down.  The 2" window provides for fussy-cut "pictures."  As you can see, two are quilted and bound.













The house block was just what I needed for a quilted document of the Covid-19 pandemic.  I plan to make a block for each day of the shut down. Because I began five weeks into it, I have catching up to do.
This quilt already has a name:  Shelter in Place.


My weekly reading:  I've nearly finished listening to The Carer, by Deborah Moggach.  I took my time (several weeks) reading History from the Heart: Quilt Paths Across Illinois . It was published in 1993 is the summary of the 1989-91 state quilt documentation project. I got it in a box of books from a quilter's estate.  Now I'm reading The House in the Cerulean Sea by T. J. Klune. My copy is an ARC from ALA but it came out in March.





At noon on Sunday Stevens and I were part of a drive-by parade for our friend Sally's 92nd birthday.  She was surprised and delighted.


Linking up with other home-bound quilt bloggers:
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday

7 comments:

  1. I like your houses! I was thinking about doing a house quilt, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea to do the drive by for her birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bright house blocks. They will be a great reminder... I'm not sure whether you are going to end up with a quilt as big as the house or a lap quilt! Some neighbors did a drive by for an 81 year old. Man, I want to be her when I grow up. She is lively and out and about or was when she could. She was touched to tears (her words, not mine!) Take good care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with your quilt to document the pandemic and the ideas you have for it. I also love love love house quilts! You have really got my mind reeling as I have been wanting to make a pandemic quilt of some sort.

    Decisions, decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nann, you are so good to be making all those masks. I'm sure well appreciated. Meanwhile love your Shelter house blocks...perfect stitching for these less than perfect times we find ourselves in. Happy Stitching from me in Canada where I am in isolation too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a positive way to document this pandemic with Shelter in Place. I always enjoy seeing what people put in the windows. I'm almost through with mask making but the gowns are ramping up.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.