Monday, March 23, 2020

Weekly update: still sewing

Have you entered the Orphan Adoption yet? See this post -- drawing will be tomorrow, 3/24.

(c) WiseHearts
It's been surreal, hasn't it?  The first pandemic in the age of social media*  means that the true, useful news and advice are overwhelmed by rumor, federal ineptitude (though Dr. Anthony Fauci is a national treasure), and attempts at humor (sometimes funny, sometimes stupid).  I am grateful to Dr. Fauci and the unnamed doctors, scientists, and lab technicians who are working on test kits and a vaccine.  I am grateful for all the "essential" personnel who are running cash registers and keeping shelves stocked; working drive up windows at banks and restaurants, responding to public safety calls (911, police, fire), and keeping hospitals open.   Oh, yes -- and the people who are keeping the Internet going!

This info-graph says that media mentions (per Google hits) are 2.1 billion for Covid-19 compared to 69.5m for HIV, 66.3m for SARS, 33.1m for MERS, and 16.2m for Ebola.

My calendar, like yours, is suddenly, strangely swept clean both in the short term (church and clubs until early April, some to mid-April) and the longer term. The biggest cancellation (so far) is the P.E.O. state convention, scheduled for early June.  Each state chapter has a convention and the cycle begins in April so the International officers cancelled ALL of them.  The AAUW-IL convention in mid-June and the ALA Annual Conference at the end of June are still on.  (The Rotary International Convention -- est. attendance 25,000 -- in Honolulu in June has been cancelled, too, but I wasn't going to go to that anyway.)


I polished most of the silver.

I made soda bread on St. Patrick's Day. (We had corned beef and cabbage, too.)



.

The state park is closed.
(Why? This park is trails and beach, no gathering places.)


But the skunk cabbage is blooming in the ravine at the end of our block.






# # # # # # # # # # # #
Of course I spent time in the studio this week.  I used up many, many 1.5" strips to make these rail fence blocks. (5.5" unfinished. Quilt is 60 x 70.)

A spur-of-the-moment start and finish feels good!

Linking up with
 Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Oh Scrap!













P.S. This is my favorite book of 2020 (so far).
I gave it ten stars our of five!  While you're waiting for its
April 14 publication date (or for your library to reopen) you can re-read or discover News of the World. (Simon makes an appearance in NOTW and Capt. Jefferson Kyle Kidd of NOTW makes an appearance in this one.)

10 comments:

  1. Comfy looking rail fence quilt, Nann. You really get stuff done. Have a happy and healthy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful finish, Nann. Now, more than ever before, I am grateful for the online quilting/blogging community. Stay healthy and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scrap quilt, it never ceases to amaze me what can be made from the pieces many quilters throw away.

    Weirdly I have more company now that we are keeping our distance from each other!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a comfort to share online with the blogging community when we cannot be with our children and grandchildren! I have been sewing up a storm. Love your rail fence--I should get on that train with the hundreds of strips I have saved. Why is it so hard to let the little pieces go? I've also done that zipper backing design, such a fun extra detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clean the silver??? I would NEVER have thought of that one. I did make a list of things I want to do if I'm not feeling in the sewing mood. So far NOTHING has been started on that list. Who wants to clean closets when the sewing machine is calling my name. Your fast quilt (started and finished in a week?) will be well loved at some point. I'm waiting to hear whether our local hospital could use some masks and what type? I know quilters are always willing to make for things when others need things. But if the local hospital doesn't want any I'm not making them.

    Stay safe. And keep the sewing mojo going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful scrappy finish, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Dr. Fauci , all other essential personnel, and the state governors who take this pandemic seriously. Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! Thanks for the heads up on Simon the Fiddler. I absolutely loved News of the World. I hear that's going to be a movie, if we're ever released from quarantine. Book ordered; anticipation in high gear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the book recommendation. I will put NOTW on my reading list then follow with Simon the Fiddler. Sounds like good books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made good use of all the reclaimed time. The Rail Fence project turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.