Sunday, March 29, 2020

Weekly update: not much to report, but there is a finish

Two weeks in:  Stevens and I are healthy. We've checked in with family and friends and they are fine.  Nearly every activity has come to a screeching halt.  The big cancellation in my world was the ALA Annual Conference at the end of June.  Both the Zion Woman's Club luncheon (May) and the AAUW luncheon (June) have been cancelled. The Rotary Golf Outing is rescheduled for September 25.  I've been to three meetings using Zoom with more to come. 

I've kept my outings to two supermarkets (Aldi and Jewel) and the post office.  I've taken long walks every day encountering other people doing the same (sometimes with their dogs). We keep our distance as we say hello.

Though the state park is closed to all traffic, pedestrian included, the forest preserves are still open. I took one path at Spring Bluff (about a mile east of home) that has recently been improved with interpretive signage and an outlook. As I was walking back a family -- parents, a kid in a stroller, and a kid on a scooter -- were entering. The scooter-rider assured his parents, "I'm staying on my side!" and I stayed on mine.

(Upper left in the collage: muskrat dens in the pond, as seen from the overlook. Upper right:
the marina is on the horizon with Lake Michigan beyond it.  Lower right: our lakefront is a Ramsar site which is a prestigious distinction.)



On the way back:  a friendly smile from the proprietor of a local shop -- from behind the window.

# # # # # # # # # # #






Leftover blocks on the back
In the studio:   I coordinated this project with blocks contributed by the ALA Biblioquilters. The batik shadowboxes are 8" finished and the quilt is 56" x 64".  I quilted it with rectangles and squares.  It was going to be in the scholarship auction at the annual conference this year -- now there's a head start for 2021!  (I didn't have to push to finish it, obviously, but if I put it away it would be a UFO and didn't want that to nag at me for an entire year.)



There's so much contradictory information about masks that I have only made three. These are just plain fabric with elastic. I think I'll make enough to use up the 1/4" elastic I have on hand (that's about 22).

I only had blah-blah fabric for one mask for a very talkative friend who is tickled to have it.

It's time to post One Monthly Goal accomplishments.  I finished mine in early March -- setting Frolic, the Quiltville mystery, and getting it to the long-arm quilter.  (It's the raffle quilt for AAUW but that convention has been cancelled. Another head start! (The raffle is "in the family." I do not get a raffle permit. I do not want to go to all the work of an online raffle. Ticket sales are limited to my branch, our April luncheon, and the state convention.)

# # # # # # # # #
This week's reading:  a novel (published March 3) and a memoir (coming in July). Both central characters were profoundly affected by the deaths of their mothers.

# # # # # # # # #

Linking up with
  One Monthly Goal
Oh Scrap!
 Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

P.S.
Bryan M. Likins (@BMLESQ) | Twitter




10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great raffle quilt, Nann, and congrats on getting your Frolic top finished, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice frolic and batik shadowbox....i had a stack of library books but now starting my last one so this has GOT to resolve quick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange to be so limited in activities. I think sometimes just knowing I can't do something makes me want to do it more. Congratulations on getting Frolic pieced. Both it and the batik quilt are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your finishes. You are really ahead of the game with your raffles. We are getting out for walks as well, mom sure I would be completely bonkers by now if I hadn’t had any fresh air.! Stay well,

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one year I wish I made the BH mystery quilt. I stopped several years ago. Love the Frolic quilt. Congrats on the Shadow Boxes finish which is oh, so colorful. And it's always nice to have a head start.


    I was out walking in the gardens today looking to see what is popping up. It's always fun to see what's new in my flower garden (that the deer and rabbits haven't eaten). Cleared up the asparagus patch and hope to see some sprouts in there soon. It was nice to be outdoors after rain and snow for the past week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting the quilts finished is a weight off your shoulders. I finished one before hopping on the mask bandwagon. Like you, I know they aren't surgical grade but hopefully contain some coughs and sneezes. Plus, they remind people not to touch their faces. I've tried to make them in matched pairs so people will switch out more frequently.
    We've been at home since March 13 and it does seem to flatten the curve. Our hospitals aren't overwhelmed yet.
    It's good to know you're doing well and reading. I noted your two books but don't think I'm ready to read about the loss of mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. I love the BLAH BLAH mask. The shadowboxes are stunning. I bet that was a lot more piecing than it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your batik shadow box quilt is fabulous!! So happy and bright. And your Frolic is also lovely - congratulations on that finish. I was going to go gangbusters making masks, but they haven’t been asking for them around here. So I’ll probably just keep the 15 or so that I made and we can use them or pass them out later if a need comes up. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun blocks. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially love the church sign!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.