Monday, November 25, 2019

Weekly update: the kitchen (still) and log cabins


The cabinets are in.  Counter tops this week  Electrical work this week.

We need to buy a dishwasher to replace the 10-year-old model which wasn't cleaning so well. The refrigerator is newer than that but because of the new location I can consider a bottom-freezer model.  (Any opinions?)

My husband caught a bug last week but seems to be over it. I came down with a cold Saturday evening -- I think the worst of it was Sunday night. We should be healthier by Thanksgiving Day. We've been invited to have dinner with friends.  I bought a turkey anyway (those pre-holiday prices are irresistible). Since the stove is out of commission I will cook it in the electric roaster.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

I made the rest of the black/white/bright slab blocks (see last week's post). I don't have a photo of those because the design wall has been taken over by the log cabins.  I made 120 and assembled them in 4's with skinny sashing (strips cut 1" that finish at 1/2", the same as the  logs).  I What's stuck in my head is using a very busy print between the blocks and for the borders -- think Kaffe Fassett.  The sample
in the photo is a wonderfully lively Free Spirit print and I have enough of it for the project.   But I will audition something lower-volume -- red, maybe? Or lime green?

I'd like to get both the slab blocks and the log cabins to the flimsy stage by Friday. That's when Bonnie will publish the first clue for the 2019 mystery.  I love the colorway -- aqua, blue, raspberry, green.

Have a great holiday! 

Linking up with
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making









13 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful. Is the color lime green? I love it! Love your log cabin blocks, too, and I look forward to seeing the finish flimsy. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchen redo is moving right along! I LOVE my bottom freezer, French-door top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your log cabin blocks!
    Good luck with your refrigerator dilemma, but think carefully about whether you really want a bottom freezer or not. I have a bottom freezer refrigerator and I hate it. It seems like we always have to take everything out of the freezer to find what we're looking for. And it doesn't hold as much as my previous side-by-side. I will never get a bottom freezer again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my bottom freezer (whirlpool). This is our first one and 6 years later we are still thrilled with it, nothing gets overlooked anymore, fresh or frozen. The vegetable drawers are up off the floor for easy access and rummaging about in the freezer is no longer a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love my bottom freezer. I wanted maximum storage in it. I opened every single one they had at Home Depot. I wanted sliding drawer(s) at the top to keep it organized. I wanted cold water/ice. We got the one with the really small icemaker as part of the left opening door of the refrigerator. I LOVE the French doors of the refrigerator. With our prior side by side, there were many things we did, that would not fit. Now anything fits!

    The best way to choose, is to go look at them all and think about how you use it, to find the best fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a bottom freezer for almost 40 years. I spend more time in the vegetable bins than I do in the freezer. French doors are great but do not forget to consider the room they need to fully open. You new kitchen will be so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had a freezer bottom refrigerator for 14 years and I love it. I am short so I always struggled to see what was in the back of the top freezer and it was so small. This is more freezer space for me and I can get to everything on both levels easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I love that log cabin quilt you have going. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous blocks but do try the lime...it may be just the ticket...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the log cabin and a busy print will make it very modern! I like Bonnies colors too but it’s doubtful I’ll do it. Will save the directions for later. Happy thanksgiving! 🦃

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your log cabin blocks, Nann. And I give two thumbs up to a bottom freezer on the fridge. We love ours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen is coming along quite nicely. The quilt is coming along too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.