Monday, October 28, 2019

Weekly update: OMG and work in progress




Monarchs were fluttering around weigela bushes at the marina in Crisfield (see the previous posts for the account of our trip).

There is work in progress in the studio, which you'll see later in this post -- but here's the work in progress upstairs.   I spent two days this week packing up the contents of the kitchen cabinets.  Our housecleaner's regular day was Wednesday. I told her it was useless to clean the kitchen so she helped pack.  I was grateful that she was there.

The cabinets were removed Thursday. The electricians capped and drilled on Friday.

The refrigerator is in the dining room.  The coffee maker is in my bathroom. We're using paper plates but washing cutlery in the bathroom. (The original kitchen sink was moved to the basement in the 1985 remodeling but it's a bit of a hassle to go downstairs to rinse out coffee cups.)

I unearthed the crockpot.  I bought an Instant Pot, which I've considered doing for a long time. So far so good.  The hassle is not having water right at hand.

I compare the project to banging your head against the wall -- it  will feel so good to quit.










Meanwhile:

It's time for the One Monthly Goal link up hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts.  [I keep typing Elm Creek Quilts, thinking of Jennifer Chiaverini's long-running series. (Did you know there's a new ECQ book out this fall? I have the advance copy but haven't read it yet.)]

My OMG was once again two parts.  I accomplished both.

#1   Ten more tote bags for the Nepal school project.  (I promised to make forty -- twenty in September, these ten, and ten to go.)








#2  Set the wonky house blocks that were the guild BOM for 2019-20.

All the houses are made from polka-dot fabric. The setting was inspired by Freddy Moran who uses black/white/bright in all her designs.

All participants in the BOM who bring quilt tops (or finished quilts) to the November meeting will qualify to win prizes.


As for quilting WIPS:  I have made six more Nepal tote bags and have the fabric for the last four cut.  I plan to finish them this week and send them off.











And here's something new!  The HSTs are 3.5" unfinished.  Right now I'm considering making 25 rows of 22 (66" x 75"). That's 550 HSTs. That could be a nice leisurely project -- make a few, put them away, make a few more -- but I predict I'll charge ahead. 







P.S. I contributed Purple Mountain Peaks to raffle at the Zion Woman's Club annual bunco party on Friday.  The winner was delighted.


Linking up with
One Monthly Goal
Oh, Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
....with thanks to Em for hosting Moving It Forward at Em's Scrap Bag . I'm going to check out her new scrap quilt group on Facebook.

12 comments:

  1. I had several posts to catch up with this morning but it has been a treat to see what you’ve been doing and where you’ve been. My husband and I made a couple of trips to the Ward museum and were very impressed with the sculptures. Seeing those birds balanced on a wing tip is unforgettable. I remember one exhibit of a carved feather and a real one and being unable to see the difference, down to the imperfections! Since you have been home you haven’t let the grass grow either. A kitchen remodel is one of the most difficult projects to live with! Ask how I know that! I love your wonky houses and going the Freddy Moran route missing perfect. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I meat the Freddy Moran route is perfect. Curses to autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wonky houses! We did our last kitchen remodel in phases, whenever we had an extra $10K to spend, and it was a lot less painful. When it was finally done we ended up moving 6 months later! However, since the house was going to be torn down, we were able to take a lot of the cabinetry and appliances with us to the next house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wonky houses quilt! And this purple quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your remodel. The wonky houses quilt is great, and I really like how the HSTs are coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah love the wonky houses....also brings to mind yvonne porcella a bit as well...and lovely donation...not a big purple person here but that might change...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be worth it when all done and you can admire the renovations. A busy week in the sewing department.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did a kitchen gutting/remodeling about 13 years ago and your post brings back *cough* “fond” memories. Refrigerator in living room, eating microwaved meals, coffee station set up in the entryway. It was (and still is) so worth it! Love your wonky houses. Of course I’m referring to the quilt, but the description probably fits your remodeling-in-process home too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had several fritillaries this year but no monarchs that I've seen so it's good they are around you.
    I dream of remodeling the kitchen and bath but we haven't discussed it seriously yet. Always a plan for "some future date." I hope your remodel is moving along quickly. It's more of a problem than we realize/remember once we reach the point of no return. At least your projects are moving along nicely.
    Several times I've deluded myself that the make a few/set aside for a while method would work for me. I can make a few at a time as long as they are always near the machine. But out of sight means out of mind. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish! Love those houses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like that house quilt top. The houses are so creatively made. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon purrfection8@gmail.comNovember 2, 2019 at 8:11 AM

    I really like your wonky houses quilt and the purple one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.