Sunday, October 27, 2019

Quilts on the trip

 Of course I spot textiles wherever I go!


At the Decorative Arts Center of Ohio:  campaign quilts and bandannas.

 A dress made from fabric printed with James Garfield's portrait.   And the wearer couldn't cast a vote in that 1880 election.

 Autographed blocks from Garfield's era.

 Early sewing machines and a haberdashery at Harpers Ferry.
A contemporary quilt at the Applachian Trail Conservancy, Bolivar, WV, with ATC patches.
























A quilt and a pillow at the museum on Smith Island.
Closeup of the pillow label.













This elegant quilt was on the bed at the Teackle Mansion in Princess Anne, MD.  There was no identification.



The quilting and trapunto are beautiful.







1 comment:

  1. You were close to my old stomping grounds in Maryland...well probably a half a state away or more really! We do so little exploring in our own backyards... maybe I should see more than a Civil War battlefield in our area! George Washington's birthplace and Stonewall Jackson death location is fairly nearby. Don't hold your breath as I seem to enjoy hanging out in my studio too much.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.