Sunday, July 28, 2019

Weekly update: OMG and a clutch-your-pearls finish

 This is my 1,000th post! 

I had a two-part One Monthly Goal for July.  I achieved both. 
#1   Make a prototype of the tote bags I will make for Margaret's Nepal school project.
I actually made three and sent them to Margaret. She preferred one and I will use that design.

#2   Get a good start on the guild challenge, Birds of a Feather.
I  have the letters made.  Now to put them together.  (Unless I change my mind and make something completely different....)  The challenge quilts will be on display a the September 4 meeting.

# # # # # # # #
I committed quilt heresy when I selected the backing for the strippy slab quilt I finished this week.

The floral fabric I used for the center panel came from my vintage stash.  It had the right colors and visual texture to complement the blocks and the turquoise sashing.  BUT I found a tag when I ironed it -- 50% cotton, 50% polyester.  GASP.






 "Use 100% cotton fabric!"  That's the advice/rule/law of quilt teachers, quilt books, quilt patterns, and dozens of quilt makers.   But we also say that there are no quilt police!







It looks just fine.  It feels just fine.  The quilting turned out very nicely.  (And I am pleased to report that I have finally gotten the hang getting the corners of the binding nicely squared.)

The quilt will be donated to a worthy cause. If it is used to the point of falling apart that may or may not be the fault of the cotton/poly blend.

Okay, I have confessed.
You may release your grip on your pearls.

# # # # # #
I feel as though this is a bonus week -- fifth Monday, Tuesday, :Wednesday.  I have a lot to catch up on (quilt-wise and otherwise).

Linking up with
July OMG Finish at Elm Street Quilts
Oh Scrap
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward

15 comments:

  1. Let’s hear it for No Quilt Police! The back may outlast the quilt top! Love reading about your train spotting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say what Ellis said - The backing will probably outlast the top :)

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it falls apart, it’s because it has been well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the 1000 post !!!!
    I have no idea how many quilts I made with sheets before I heard the cotton rule. And I have no idea how many of those where 100% cotton at the time. I will also not mention how many sheets I have stashed for backings ready to go. Nope not me...my lips are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what they say--rules are made to be broken--lol! Your quilt looks wonderful and I know it will be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have plenty of clothing that is a cotton/poly mix, and it is all holding up fine. Why should a quilt be any different?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't tell the quilt police if you don't! I'm slowly starting to use non-traditional fabric in my art quilts and I'm sure that it will translate into my quilting eventually. My first quilt was actually make with some cotton/polyester pieces. It was fine except for the hand quilting - that's when you can tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your 1000th post and the finish. The backing goes really well with that bright front even if it's the "wrong" fabric type. You have to live dangerously sometimes. Have a great stitchy week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you earned a "Get Out of Jail Free" card on that one. No way you're getting locked up by the police. Nice looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You’re so kind to make so many quilt for others. Congratulations on your 1000th post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The alternate plain columns really calm the look of the Crumb Quilt. Good idea, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel there are not rules in quilting only guidelines. It looks great! If someone calls you on it. They are not your friend. Don't listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ack, and here I went and gave my pearls to Goodwill--nothing to clutch!!

    I found an IKEA duvet cover that yielded enough cottony goodness for a couple of quilt backs (Goodwill). Now I'll start eyeballing the red-headed step-children (the poly blends) too when I'm in there fabric shopping, especially when looking for backings for my N1C tops (Not 100% Cotton). Those tops include interior decoration fabric scraps, known poly blends, and other pieces of unknown origin and content. A sheet would be the perfect answer!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.