Thursday, August 1, 2019

Oh, sheet: the backings stash, July report, and August goals



"Can I use sheets for backing?"  Someone posts such a question to online groups every couple of months.  Responses (especially on Facebook) are swift and range from "Never!" "Disaster!" to "All the time!" "Why not?"

I'm in the "why not?" camp.  In fact, I actively seek all-cotton sheets at thrift shops and rummage sales.  (Some cotton/poly blends are cottony enough, but you have to be careful: the blends from the 1970's (Kodel brand poly) are too thin and, well, polyester-y.)  

A queen-sized flat sheet, hems removed, yields about 70 x 80 in usable fabric. That's nearly 4-1/4 yards.  For $5.00 or less.  What's not to like? 

 I look for thread counts that approximate quilt fabric, rather than the ultra-high-count of so many newly-manufactured sheets.  I have the best results with Ralph Lauren or Laura Ashley brands.  

Yesterday I pulled out the three big tubs where I store backings -- no only sheets but also pieces 3 yards+.  (I swiffered the floor while I was at it. :))  [You can see the same boxes on the old flooring in this post from 2013 .  The contents of the boxes have changed somewhat but you can see that the quantity hasn't.]

The photo on the left shows the sheets.   I refolded them, added tags with the dimensions, and put them back in the tub.  Now that I am reacquainted with the entirety of  the backings stash I plan to use them!

# # # # # # 
Now it's time for True Confessions, aka the monthly stash report.
Fabric IN, July:  114-3/4 yds, $372.00.  Average $3.24/yd.  (44 yards was a gift.)
Fabric OUT, July:  49-1/4
Fabric IN, YTD:  375 yards, $1454.00   Average $3.87/yd.
Fabric OUT, YTD: 299-1/8 

I need to spend less time acquiring and more time sewing, as I've said how many times before?

# # # # # #
And it's time to declare my OMG for August.   That's an easy one:  
FINISH THE GUILD CHALLENGE QUILT

Here's the link to the OMG home page.  Thanks again to Patty for hosting OMG!  



9 comments:

  1. I haven't used sheets and probably never will. I have so much fabric I have picked up secondhand. Yardage upon yardage with my dresser drawers full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a great idea--the upscale brands use nice fabrics...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first ever quilt, I used a sheet as backing. I was a poor student and it was on sale. It was pink and for my son. 40+ years later, he still has that queen quilt, it's been well used, and he's never complained - about the backing sheet or color. =) It's worn well! You have plenty to work with there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use flat sheets for quilt backings too. They're ideal for big quilts in my opinion.
    Good luck with your August challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I forgot to congratulate you on your 1000 post! What a record! I haven’t used sheets but I may try one day. I send most of mine out for quilting since I don’t really enjoy that part and basting is a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with using cotton sheets for backings. Those who disagree are missing out! Right now my backings are stored with all my other cotton fabrics, by color. It keeps me from acquiring too much to fit in my shelves (been there, done that).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the sheet or no sheet commentary! I will use sheets at times? Know your fabric content and - what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts OMG and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.