Sunday, July 21, 2019

Weekly update: accomplishments while procrastinating . . . and a meet up (with fabric!)


I caught the sunrise over Lake Michigan early in the week.  A few days later we had the hottest temperatures of the year.   The heat wave broke Saturday evening.  We are grateful for central air conditioning! 



I'm still stuck on the guild challenge, but being stuck does not mean no sewing.  Here's Purple Peaks.  It's 60 x 72 with 6" blocks.  (The batik version I showed last week has 9" blocks.) The pattern is by Amy Ellis.


I made the penultimate block for the guild Wonky House BOM.





The AAUW-IL state board met in Bloomington on Friday afternoon and Saturday.  I'm co-v.p. of membership for the 2019-21 term.




 I left very early Friday morning -- it's 180 miles -- in order to visit a fabric shop or two and to have lunch with long-time online quilting friend Kathleen who lives in Normal and works in Bloomington.  (We've known one another for many years but hadn't met in person.)

Before lunch I went to Bolines. Wow!  Regular fabric is $7.99/yard and batiks are $8.99/yard.  (They used to vend at big quilt shows with 5-yard bundles as their specialty, but they no longer do shows.)

After lunch Kathleen and I went to The Treadle. Wow again!  The prices vary but there's a 20% discount for cash. And there were clearance tables in front of the store.

The AAUW board meeting was expeditious and ended just after lunch Saturday. That gave me time to stop at Peace & Applique, a shop on the west side of Bloomington.  This is P&A's second location (I discovered the older shop a couple of months ago).  They were having an event when I stopped in so it was rather hectic. (Also, I had gotten such terrific bargains at the other two shops that I didn't have a compelling need to buy anything -- though their array of crisp, fresh, modern prints is wonderful.)











Here's what I bought:  66 yards, now happily at home in my stash. 

This week:  I promise I will make progress on that challenge quilt!

Linking up with
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
 Monday Making
Moving It Forward

12 comments:

  1. wow...gorgeous new fabric....love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a haul from your shopping! I’ll have a granddaughter in Blooming ton in the fall so I may have to check out some of those shops. Purple peaks is really pretty! Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to stop occasionally at The Treadle in Champaign (no longer there). Didn't realize Bodines wasn't vending any longer. Used to see them at some of the regional shows out here. Your purple quilt looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! What a week you had! Welcome to Stash Acquisition Team. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that purple scrappy quilt top! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purple peaks is gorgeous! Sounds like you had a successful shopping trip, too. I think the heat wave may have addled my brain because I have too many projects in progress, I'm accomplishing next to nothing, and yet I have a tremendous urge to go sneaking off to my favorite quilt shop and buy a bunch of fabric that I don't need and have no room to store...

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful purple peaks quilt and love the funky house and that fabric store I bet I could find some white and black background fabric there I'm envious

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure do find the best fabric bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Purple Peaks was awesome but then I saw the two of you looking so cute and then when I read 66 yards - I was WHAT!!!
    Sounds like an absolutely perfect day full of friends, fabric and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another 180 miles you would have been in my neighborhood. Unfortunately I do not have the selection of fabric stores in and around Peoria. The prices you paid are unreal, perhaps I should take note and travel north.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.