Monday, June 10, 2019

Weekly update: round robin revealed, progress, uncertainty, and estate sale bargains

I was one of six guild members who participated in a monthly round robin. At this week's meeting we got our projects back.

Here's mine.  Wow!  I'm delighted.

I was only able to get photos of three of the other five. (And the collage cut off the edges of the quilt on the left.)




Linking up to OMG June Finish here . 


My Rainbow Scrap Challenge project this year is to make pinwheels using the monthly color plus gray/taupe/white, one block per day.  I overcut and made 32 dark blue blocks for June.  I also made light blue blocks.   Making both sets was my declared OMG for the month.

(Some of the pinwheels appear to be going in the opposite direction but that's because many of the light blues are lighter than the grays.)




Here's this month's wonky house for the guild BOM.  This is the layout. The design will include sashing.  There will be one more tall block and one more square block.














I finished all the red star blocks for the Christmas quilt. I tried red background. Too much red.  I tried green background. Too much green. I tried white with reds/greens. Pretty busy. I'm not sure if I like the arrangement -- but I've already sewn all the nine-patch blocks. I took everything off the design wall, put it all in a box, and will let it simmer for a while.







Balderdash conducts many of the estate sales in this area.  They have a new gimmick--pay $5 for one of their bags and bring it each time for a discount.  A three-day sale started Thursday: the home of a former music teacher (there were a dozen mountain dulcimers as well as several violins and guitars, and a lot of sheet music) who also did some crafting. I didn't buy anything the first day. I went back on Saturday: 75% off and another 15% with the Balderdash bag.   All of this was $12.50!  The fabric is 15 yards by weight (on the first day it was priced at $3.00 per piece).




 I couldn't pass up this Colonial-revival stitchery.  I'm sure it was a commercially-made piece (clue: the gift shop sticker).  The inscription reads:

To Audrey
Love Nana Ham
June 1984
Nana has had this for many years





Linking up this week with
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Oh Scrap!
Rainbow Scrap Challenge

5 comments:

  1. Your Round Robin quilt top turned it GREAT!!! Any specific plans for the estate sale finds? Sweet score!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, LOTS of projects! What fun! I LOVE your round robin project, it turned out great! I used to do a lot of round robins, but my guild fell apart and I developed too many UFO's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your neutrals with a color for the pinwheels. And you remind me to try houses again. These are a delight. You will enjoy putting them together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Round Robins are sew much fun! Check out those houses! Wow, do they ever look great all together. Super score at the estate sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.