Monday, April 22, 2019

Weekly update: Easter greetings, OMG, and something new

Easter in black and white:  the four Hilyard children in 1955 (Betsy, Steve, Barbara, Dave) and the Blaine girls in 1956.  (Mangel's Florist in Skokie had photos with Santa and the Easter Bunny.)


60 + years later, 2019:  it was sunny and warm today (in contrast to the record-setting snow on Palm Sunday).    I got the peonies staked.
There are two patches of bloodroot (a wildflower) in the garden. The daffodils are in full bloom.


# # # # # # #

In the studio:   I finished the fourth tote bag.
That means I've completed all five parts of my stated One Monthly Goal for April.










I was thinking about what to sew after the tote bags.   I was also mindful of the tragic fire at Notre Dame Cathedral.  One of the relics rescued was the crown of thorns. (Yes, I know it is probably not THE crown of thorns but it's been regarded as such for centuries.)  Then I flipped to the April 17 page of Nancy Martin's perpetual calendar.

The block is also known as Single Wedding Ring (with a variation called  Handy Andy) but Crown of Thorns was appropriate this week.  I dipped into the box of 3.5" batik HSTs and started sewing.





The blocks are 15.5" unfinished. I figured out a pieced sashing.  You'll need to tune in later this week to see how that turns out.

Monday link ups:
Monday Making
Oh, Scrap!
Moving It Forward
Design Wall Monday








10 comments:

  1. Hum, you make me want to hunt out old (or maybe odd?) Easter pictures from my childhood. Maybe later, first I need to get some quilting done today! Your crown of thorns looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old photos. Those Blaine girls in their Easter bonnets are cute but that Easter Bunny looks kind of scary!

    I have a patch of blood root too as well as lots of patches of daffodils in bloom. Waiting for last frost date to do some serious gardening but have planted a few veggies and a new strawberry bed. Asparagus from the garden for dinner tonight!

    I've been making a smaller version of Wedding Ring/Crown of Thorns as a RSC project. I like your large scrappy version and will tune in later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a quick project! Your stash must be amazing! I really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a nice Crown of Thorns! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Crown of Thorns, Nann! And I do concur with others, the old snaps are delightful!

    Gina in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Wedding Ring quilt is going to be SEW pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crown of Thorns is so pertinent this season. You've made a lovely version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Crown of Thorns blocks, very pretty. If you have extra blocks or wanted to make a mini quilt for Notre-Dame, we are running a Notre-Dame project to help her rebuilt: A mini quit for Notre-Dame

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to have all those memories! and your single wedding ring block? so Pretty!!!! I like it! It looks so detailed

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.