Thursday, March 14, 2019

It's a finish! (and this week's bargain)


All but the label:  Jeweled Windows is quilted and bound! The blocks are 7 x 12 finished.   They were made by my fellow ALA Biblioquilters. This will be in the silent auction at the ALA Annual Conference in June.



The bright backing fabric was an estate-sale purchase.















I stopped at Salvation Army on Monday.  I could not resist these bargains -- 32 yards, $28 (including the all-cotton queen-sized sheet on the bottom right).


The African-style prints are regular cotton. I think they were used for a Black History Month display or program because the top (brighter) pieces were edged in store-bought bias tape and one piece had a store-bought fringe attached.  The bottom pieces (8-plus yards in all) were scrunched, not neatly folded, the way you'd scrunch when cleaning up. (Quilters know that misfolded fabric means wrinkled fabric.)   Do you remember Minnesota Fabrics? This surely was a flatfold -- but 4 yds. 6 in. instead of the 3 yds on the tag.

Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday



6 comments:

  1. Didn't Minnesota become Cloth World become JoAnn? We didn't have Minnesota in our part of the country, but I knew people in the Midwest who shopped there. You definitely found some bargains! Oh, and the quilt looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s quite a haul! Love the Jewel Windows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! I’m so attracted to scrap quilts lately. And those are quite the finds! I vaguely remember Minnesota Fabrics but don’t remember the flat folds. We do have some Ben Franklins in some small towns in my state that have them. I try to watch for them when I’m on vacation. I never think of checking thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely quilt. I'm not sure I've ever worked with a rectangular block, I maybe should put that on the to do list for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful finish for the auction. And a good haul from the Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m envious of the African prints! What great backing they’d make for an African-inspired quilt. Great find, Nann!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.