Monday, February 25, 2019

Weekly update: a finish

I quilted X Marks the Block last week, just in time to donate it to the UMW silent auction. The high bidder was delighted.

I used two vintage prints (one 36" and one 44") for the backing.






The subject of  "getting what it's worth" for
quilts donated to fundraisers came up on one of the online groups.  I like to get bargains at silent auctions, too, so why should I begrudge the person who gets one of my quilts for (a lot) less than the time and effort I may have put into it? The organization or agency is the beneficiary.  I am flattered by admiring comments on my workmanship.  And what do I gain from stockpiling quilts in my basement?  I'm going to keep making quilts because otherwise I will drown in fabric.




I'm nearly finished quilting Spare Parts IV.

I am auditioning Jeweled Windows blocks made by the ALA Biblioquilters.  I'm expecting a few more blocks to come in.

Monday link ups:
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

Have a good week and stay warm!!

P.S.  Judy's comment prompted me to remember this example of unappreciation:
When I was active in the Maine Library Assn. I donated needlepoint pillows to the scholarship auction at the annual conference.  One year the guest speaker (a well-known, award-winning children's author) bought one of them.  I sat next to her at the banquet and commented that I was pleased she'd won it.  She dismissively said, "I had to bid on something."  I refrained from a snarky response. [It was so long ago that "snarky" hadn't been coined!]   Ever since when I've seen a copy of her best-known book I recall that encounter.

13 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I haven't been donating much lately but I have been gifting family with quilts as I finish them. I love that they love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. That's an encounter you'll never forget. I keep making quilts too. THey must be passed on. No room to stockpile them here. The joy is in the making. There's not many i cant give away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh -- too bad she didn't think about what she said. Unfortunately, not everyone appreciates beautiful hand crafted items. I quilt because it keeps me happy. So, if I give things away it doesn't bother me. We can afford the charity even though I don't try to take deductions for it. On to the next quilt that will go to a senior in a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the walmart generation - I am not sure anyone truly appreciates hand made - or the time and creativity - the quilt is really neat

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see a book by an author that I don't like I turn it around so the front isn't showing. My little mental health exercise.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found that a couple of small (40 x 60) "easy to make" quilts at a benefit auction usually nets more for the benefit than one big "harder to make" quilt.

    There are so many thoughtless and rude people who just need to stop and listen to themselves once in awhile. I doubt that author writes about the Golden Rule!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Kat, the joy is in the making. I will say that the one-on-one gifting is generally the most appreciated by the recipient (and the most rewarding for the maker). When I saw donated clothing piled up on blue tarps in parking lots after Katrina, I vowed I'd never send a quilt to a generic cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nann, people just don’t “get” how much goes into anything hand crafted that it is hard to motivate myself to put things in live or silent auctions. I would rather donate to an organization where I won’t meet the recipient, or feel personally slighted at how little was paid, (as in quilts for kids), and it keeps me busy, but anonymous. I sew because I love it, and want o make a difference for someone else. I made a lovely quilt for my mother in law, who never put it out, or thanked me, so completely anonymous is the way I roll now! Jill in Calgary/Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts! I have found that sometimes "big" authors are not all you might hope they will be. Focusing on the good the sale did for MLA is the way to go. What are the ALA Biblioquilters?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a gorgeous quilt! I like to get a bargain at an auction too so I guess we can't begrudge someone else that pleasure, as long as they understand the value and appear pleased. It is too bad the author didn't understand the value of the needle point. Hopefully she has learned its value since that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous quilt!!! Love it. It is indeed a shame that a lot of folks do not understand the time and effort that goes into our work. I am sure you have put that incident firmly in the rear view mirror as you move on to beautiful things :-) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After a school auction, I checked out the women who bought the quilt I donated, let's just say I'm really glad she didn't know I was the one who made the quilt. She was less than gracious about her reasoning for buying it. But to be honest, the quilt wasn't my style and I'm glad it's not hanging around in my closet. So there is that. So I'm pretty on the same page with you on donations. Wish I could bid on some of your quilts, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.