Monday, February 18, 2019

Weekly update: three finishes

I made two tote bags.  These and the two I showed last week comprise my One Monthly Goal for February.

The bag on the left uses the same pattern as one of last week's bags.  Both of them have fabric that I used for these tote bags .

The February OMG link up is HERE .








Ripples blocks were made by ALA Biblioquilters for the silent auction at the annual conference in June.  They are easy to make -- two 1.5" x WOF strips sewn together, cut into 2.5" sections, and pieced. However, those pieces are devilishly slippery and they twist the wrong direction.  After I'd assembled the blocks I found one mis-directed unit and corrected it.  While I was quilting I found two more, but it was too late to change them. Let's call it a design element!

These blocks also reminded me of Mary Ellen Hopkins' PPM, Personal Private Measurement -- that is, 1/4" isn't always the exact same from quilter/machine to quilter/machine.  Variances compound with as many seams as blocks like these. The unfinished sizes ranged from 8" to 8.5". I ended up trimming them all to 8". Thus the blocks finish at 7.5" and the quilt is 60 x 67.5.


Here's the back.  I need to attach the binding and create the label.

With both the cutting table and the design wall cleared off I am turning my thoughts to something new, just-for-fun.

Monday link ups:
Monday Making
Oh, Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful bags! The design of your auction quilt is so much fun! Love how it wiggles and moves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This block makes a most interesting quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bags and that quilt is so fun. I can imagine a little boy with his little cars playing on it. It's always fun to sew blocks together made by other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the mistake of thinking this block was so easy as to be mindless--nay nay! There was a lot of unhappy unsewing when I actually looked at what I was doing and realized rows 1 and 3 were constructed slightly differently than 2 and 4--it wasn't a matter of sewing them all alike and then rotating/flipping every other row! (Blog fodder for another day.)

    I always enjoy the Find The Mistake Game (on others' quilts, obviously). It took me a couple of passes, but I found 'em! You're a braver woman than I, taking that group project on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun quilt!! It is rare that I don't have some kind of "design element" in my quilts, LOL! Love your bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice quilt...she was a hoot wasn't she? mary ellen hopkins that is...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on completing your OMG ten days ahead of schedule. What will you do now?
    You say Ripples. I thinks it is several lightning blasts. Love the drama on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go on your OMG! The Ripples is very cute and should do well at auction. I couldn’t find the mistake. Just character!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the 'ripples' quilt, very effective in those softer colours. And the 'perfectly imperfect' look is all the rage just now! I have found my 1/4" alters even if I leave it too long between sewing on my WiPs, and my two machines certainly are different. (I have an old dsm I use when my newer machine is away for anything)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nann, Congratulations on your three finishes for February ! They are all lovely, and they look like a lot of fun to sew. The tote bag with the buttons is especially darling. You're accomplishing so much ! Great job on all your progress. Blessings to you, from Marina and Daryl Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that bag with the roses! Congrats on meeting you OMG for February. It would be hard to find any design elements in Ripples, there is just so much movement in those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One can never have too many bags! Love the auction quilt...it is so lively! I am a Mary Ellen Hopkins fan. When I read about the PPM in her book, I felt so much better about my own quilting. She taught me to enjoy what I am making...it isn't about perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love ripple -- it looks fabulous. Yea for getting your OMG done. Mine is too -- but I haven't posted about it yet. You do such a great job with your tote bags.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tote bags and the quilt too. I'd like to make one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bags....just admiring your stash in the background of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great bags! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That makes a really neat quilt - love the scrappiness of it!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.