Monday, October 22, 2018

Weekly update: a fling, a finish, and a flimsy

 The fling.  I still have a lot of fashion fabric left over from the days that I sewed my own clothing.  I learned that there's a rug hooking group in the area (Loopy Ladies).   I emailed asking if they could use wool yardage. Yes! And yesterday I took a box of yardage to their meeting.  It was gratefully received.  I told them I could not stay -- keep me from temptation! I admire rug hooking but I am not going to take it up. There's enough opportunity and variety in quilt making to keep me plenty busy.

The fashion fabric has not been counted in my stash reports so I won't count it as "fabric used," but I am happy to say that I emptied a 66-gallon plastic tub.  One day later: the tub is still empty.

The finish.
 I pieced Nine by Nine patch earlier this year.  It came to the top of the pile of flimsies so I quilted it.  The white-background poppy print that I used for the back complemented the white of the quilt. (It wouldn't have worked for last week's Poppy Stars which doesn't have any white.)

 In retrospect I should have continued the insert band across the back.  Too late now!
Back and binding used 3 yards.



























The flimsy.  A few weeks ago I began piecing batik crumbs with no specific plan.  I used my largest square ruler -- 15" -- to trim those I'd make.  More blocks followed.

Here's the result. I chose the very bright  batik so the sashes and borders would  blend with the extremely busy blocks.
Of course I couldn't count yardage using the size of the pieces. Instead I weighed it -- 1 lb., 1 oz. That's 4-1/8 yards.

And, yes, there are still a lot of batik bits and pieces awaiting a future project.

Monday link ups:
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Moving It Forward


P.S.  Rosebuds in late October. Foolhardy or optimistic?  (Actually, they indicate that the gardener is not diligent in keeping the bush pruned.)

9 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to be dealing with crumbs right now. Your batik top looks great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts! I love the back of Nine by Nine patch quilt, great remind of the top

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, you escaped rug making. Isn't that funny that we both had that connection this week. I love the back for your Nine by Nine quilt. I think it's perfect just the way it is. And those batik crumbs.....swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful,fun quilts! You have been really busy! I wish I had your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your very bright, piece-full quilt. Congrats on emptying a whole tub. Counted or not, that's definite sewing room decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re certainly making good progress! So much work! Every once in awhile, I pull out my random scrappy blocks like your Batik beauty, but I only get so far on it before it goes back in the bag. Years from now, perhaps it will be in the 'to be quilted' pile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a great finish - the 9 by 9 quilt is really pretty. Great that you were able to reduce your stash - more room to move around or store things you actually use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A newly completed quilt AND a new quilt top, too?! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I recognize the call of the rug-hooking - my grandmother was an avid practitioner and I inherited her tools. So far I've been able to resist (I don't need another hobby I don't need another hobby I don't need another hobby), but I was always captivated by her work and know that it's only a matter of time...
    Beautiful quilts! I especially admire those batiky crumbs!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.