Monday, August 13, 2018

Weekly update: batik week

We had free tickets for a concert at Ravinia on Tuesday, but free means lawn seating and it poured. The Zion Park District's weekly concert on Thursday was also free, also outside, and it poured.   That meant two evenings to sew!

8/26/18: linking up to Elm Street Quilts/OMG finishes here !

I finished the maple leaf wall hanging. It's my OMG for August. I will donate it to the quilt guild for the silent auction at Sept. 29-30 quilt show.   24 x 36, 1-1/2 yards.


Though the maple leaves were finished I didn't put the batik FQ boxes back on the shelf.  Here's what happened;








   Thursday night.









Sunday night. (Yes, there's a hole in the bottom row. I trimmed a block too much and need to replace it.)

I'd probably have gotten the blocks set but I couldn't resist playing with batik scraps.

What I really, really, really need to do is get started on the AAUW holiday raffle quilt. "Started," as in,  "finalize the pattern/design." I have bookmarked ideas and gone through magazines . . . inspiration, please strike this week!

Link ups:  Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Oh Scrap
Moving It Forward


15 comments:

  1. What beautiful fabrics you are working with. And Congrats on that leaf quilt- its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those churn dashes are beautiful! It's one of my favorite blocks. Are you doing a scrap vortex with the leftovers? I won't open do one but other thing keep getting in the way. I did make a background for a wall hanging but I want to do something larger. Certainly have the scraps! Leaf quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The scrap inspiration is from Rayne Gillman (Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts) and Cindy Grisdela (Artful Improv). But Scrap Vortex may result from these.

      Delete
  3. Of course I meant that I want to make a Scrap Vortex, but I didn't proof read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we just need to play with the squirrels. I love how your scrappy blocks shine. The churn dash is going to be another stunner and with fall just around the corner, the leaves will be a perfect win for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those churn dash/monkey wrench blocks look great! Wonderful way to use up those leftovers. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if you were supposed to be getting motivated for another project, you made fabulously good use of your time. Way to go! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One thing leads to another...same here! Way to go with those batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Batiks, and those scrappy blocks-yummy! But the leaf quilt really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't ever go wrong with batiks...gorgeous projects! we lucked out and made a concert sun pm, us army nat guard band, it was overcast but made it thru without a drop...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing to look at the churn dash blocks....they look so different depending on the color placement. I want to play with some churn dash blocks too! Maybe one of these days. You sure got a lot of work done! (Or was that just playing?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your churn dashes, and the scrap blocks are amazing! Beautiful color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both quilts are pretty stunning. Love those brilliant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.