Monday, August 20, 2018

A day in the Loop

Pat and I are roommates at ALA conferences. We try to get together  at other times, too, by meeting in downtown Chicago.  Last Thursday we saw this summer's major exhibit at the  Art Institute, "John Singer Sargent and Chicago's Gilded Age."  In the 1890's and early 1900's wealthy Chicagoans acquired many of Sargent's paintings.  Charles Deering (McCormick reapers) was among Sargent's patrons. 






I was aware of Sargent's portraits, of course.  He also painted oil en plein air and watercolor. He drew charcoal sketches (much faster and cheaper), 

Works by his contemporaries (many of whom were his friends) are included in the exhibit.













We went to lunch at Cindy's Rooftop at the Chicago Athletic Association. CAA was a private club and is now a boutique hotel.  The food was good to look at as well as good to eat. The view was great! 











We've intended to visit the American Writer's Museum  since it opened last year.  We finally did!   It reviews 400 years of American writing (from Cabeza de Vaca and Capt. John Smith to contemporary authors). There are lots of interactive exhibits.  It's great fun!

The bottom right photo is a snapshot of a word waterfall. The wall is covered with words, all jumbled. When lines are illuminated you see quotations from literature.

I thought that when I retired I go downtown more often than I do.  This time I bought a 10-ride train ticket.  It's good for a year. My new resolution is to use it up! 



1 comment:

  1. would love to see that exhibit...have seen some of his works at the gardner museum in boston....

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.