Sunday, June 3, 2018

Weekly update: stash report, a disappointment, and OMG

Fabric IN, May:  56-3/8 yds, $185.75 (avg. $3.29)
Fabric OUT, May: 39-7/8 yds
*  I used a gift certificate, ordered on-sale Aurifil thread and (to get free shipping) fabric, and bought a king-sized flat sheet at Salvation Army. On Wednesday we had a medical appt. at Froedert (west of Milwaukee) -- too close to Patched Works in Elm Grove to not visit. I hadn't been to PW in years. It's as well-stocked as ever and some of that stock came home with me.

Fabric IN, January-May: 134-1/2 yds, $364.75 (avg. $2.71)
Fabric OUT, January-May: 310-1/4 yds
* My finished projects this month were small (three tote bags, five mug rugs). They took time but not fabric.

Net decrease: 175-3/4 yds
*  It's still a decrease!

(While looking for a suitable falling-off-the-wagon illustration I found a link to this
interesting article .  "Marlatt teaches a technique called "urge surfing" as a way to cope.  People tend to think that urges will escalate infinitely if they don't yield to them — but in fact, like a wave, they rise to a peak and then fall. That is, even if you don't give in, the urge dissipates."   I will keep this in mind when I think about buying fabric.)

The disappointment is the nine-patch-and-pink quilt. I showed the flimsy last week. I pieced the back and sandwiched it.  I decided to use straight-line quilting (feed dogs dropped).  Yikes!!  Little puckers on the top, though the back was fine.  Just too much to rip out, considering it was a scrappy top that used up old, old fabric.   I plugged away, grimacing at the puckers.  I bound it.  I washed it which hid the puckers somewhat......Now it's consigned to the donation box. It will keep someone warm.   As my Magpie friends would say, "This is a learning experience that will contribute to your personal development."


My quilting to-do slate is blank, but my regular to-do list is brimming.  I'm not sure what to declare as my OMG for June.


Meanwhile, here is my design wall.  I want to empty a seemingly inexhaustible box of 1.5" white/cream postage stamps.   My piecing is more accurate when I make the blocks as nine nine-patches (four LDL, five DLD) rather than nine strips of nines.   I am aiming for 30 blocks.  I have more than enough postage stamps! 



Here is the lineup for the week: 
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward

PLEASE NOTE!  Blogger quit sending email notices of blog comments. [The change has been reported to Google by dozens of bloggers. Google says they're "working to address the issue."]  Unless your email address is in my contacts list I can't write back.   I really appreciate it when you write and I apologize for not being able to email you in response. 


13 comments:

  1. Your "falling off the wagon" photo gave me a start as I took similar pictures with friends as a kid. It wasn't me in your photo, tho. Glad you explained the pun or I would have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the falling-off memes were about dieting.

      Delete
  2. Your postage stamp is going to be lovely! As to falling off the wagon, every stash needs "refreshment" from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you add your own comment and click the NOTIFY ME box, you will get emails with the comments are subsequently posted. They contain links to the commenter's blogger profile which contains their email address. A workaround until the GDPR problems are resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like your scrappy postage stamps. So sorry about your learning experience ... but it will be loved ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY goodness you've used 310 yards plus since January. Girl, you deserve a treat. And you are still using up lots of fabric. You've got a net decrease of 175 yards! I've never used that much fabric in a year. Congratulations. I sure hope blogger fixes the issue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, over 300 yards used -- that's very impressive! I love Patched Works and used to shop there all the time when I lived in Milwaukee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost 200 yards out is a pretty good decrease! Hope you find lots of time for stitching this next week. Have fun with the postage stamp project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That 9 patch will be amazing! I DO know that you won't run out of 1 1/2" pieces. Just an FYI...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting to know that the urge (to "fall of the wagon" on my goals) dissapates. Good to think about this fact when I am in a weak moment. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little postage stamp blocks intrigue me! Can't wait to see how you put them together. I'm imagining them on point, or all together without sashing of any kind. Can't you just imagine a whole large quilt of only 1.5" postage stamps? Don't ever worry about replying to my comments. Just know I always enjoy reading your blog whether I comment or not. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.