Sunday, May 27, 2018

Weekly update: part 3, in the kitchen, in the garden, in the studio



"I've got rhubarb if you'd like some," W.D. posted on Facebook.  I went to her house and came home with this. 

A half hour later it was cut, bagged, and frozen. (Though today I made a rhubarb-strawberry pie. I found a bag of sliced strawberries at the back of the freezer dated June 30. Time to use them!)






Dicentra (bleeding heart) 
Hardy perennials and wildflowers are the mainstays of our garden.  I appreciate flowers more than I like cultivating them.

The vegetable patch will be tilled this coming week.  We are late but we are hopeful.
Aresaema triphyllum (Jack in the Pulpit) 


Papaver (poppy)


 In the studio:  it was time to make something just for the sake of it. Quilts without destinations or deadlines go together so easily!  This began with a dusty-pink 1990's print. There was just enough of it for the inner squares.  A second pink yielded enough for the outer squares with a half-dozen squares left over.  A third pink (with blue paisleys) is used in the setting triangles. There's a FQ-plus left of that.  The blue border is of a similar age.    The 3.5" nine-patches are from the Block Swappers.  Alas, participation in the group dwindled and it was closed last month.  I still have several hundred nine-patches on hand.

I've used this setting before:
here and here.

Weekly link ups:
Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward

10 comments:

  1. No deadlines or destinations? I'm SEW jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your flowers! I can't seem to grow bleeding heart although I've tried a couple of times. May have to give it a whirl again. I have Jack too and hope for some poppies!
    I think you were very clever the way you managed to get all those fabrics to play nicely for that setting! Well done!
    Have a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't go wrong with a 9-patch in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: the only way I like rhubarb is with strawberries. Had a strawberry/rhubarb fried pie at out local craft fair yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a pink fan, but I love your nine patch quilt! The pink is not overwhelming at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty nine patch! I just pulled a rhubarb strawberry crisp out of the oven. Yum!

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes is it nice to sew with no deadlines or destinations. No pressure just enjoy your project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had rhubarb since I went in Knott's Berry Farm in the 90s. I remember having chicken (or was it turkey?) dinners there as a girl and as an adult. They always served stewed rhubarb -- if I remember correctly. I am looking forward to working on a UFO as soon as I get the Jamestown Landing done....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt! Amazing how a simple 9 patch can make a quilt shine

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.