Monday, February 5, 2018

Weekly update: Blockheads assembled and lots to do


I went full steam ahead on the Blockheads!  I finished the flimsy at the end of our TV watching Sunday evening. (We saw the final minutes of the Super Bowl in between PBS programs.)

I added 1.5" (1" fin.) sashing and cornerstones to give the blocks some breathing room.  (I ran out of Kona Snow for the sashing, but before I went out to buy more I looked again. There was a 5-yard piece that I bought in late December. I do not remember buying it but I'm glad I did, and I'm glad I checked.)

No sashing
By the time I'd done all that piecing I decided on a plain border made from a black-on-tan woven plaid.
It's 74 x 90 and I calculate 6-1/2 yards, all from my stash.

(The Moda Blockheads Facebook group has photos of many interpretations (color, genre) and clever settings. The 6" blocks were a real skill-builder with all their tiny pieces.  Here is the link to the entire sew-along.)

# # # # # #
Zion Woman's Club meets at noon tomorrow.
Quilt Guild meets Wednesday evening.
I leave for the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Denver on Thursday morning. I need to read committee documents, finalize my schedule, pack -- and choose a handwork project to take along.

Monday link ups:
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
 Oh, Scrap!





6 comments:

  1. Nice job getting that finished up. And, I try to keep some Kona White, Snow and Navy blue in the stash at all times. Unless I run out! Is this a keeper quilt for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty quilt top Nann. The border frames it really nicely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nann,
    Really nice job on all the Blockhead blocks, and your quilt top looks fabulous. The border looks great to me - it doesn't distract from any of the blocks yet it finishes it off nicely. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sashing! It looks organic. I can't imagine any other sashing treatment that would look so good and natural with your setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That border frames everything perfectly - what a wonderful quilt you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks lovely. A great job, especially the added sashing - love it.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.