Thursday, February 1, 2018

February OMG

Here are the final three blocks from the Moda Blockheads  .I have enjoyed making the 48 6.5" blocks using homespuns. It's been fun to see how each of the six designers made the blocks (chronicled in weekly blog posts). There's a FB group for participants to show their progress (such a variety of fabrics and colorways). 






My February OMG is to assemble all the blocks using chain blocks as alternates. (I posted this photo in December (block #42).)  I'll need to figure out a border, too.









My secondary OMG is to get started on my niece's wedding quilt. The wedding is in late May. She and her fiance are WWII reenactors which made that the obvious theme. I have Eleanor Burns' Victory Quilts and Sue Reich's World War II Quilts (a historical survey).  What I think I'm going to use are blocks from Rosemary Youngs' Quilts from the American Homefront. They're 6.5" (I've had lots of practice with the Blockheads) and some are very tricky.  My initial plan is to make 50 out of the 121 in the book and set them on point.  (Surely I can find 50 that aren't so complicated!)  I'll include the book with the quilt.

Thanks in advance to Patty at Elm Street Quilts for hosting OMG. Here's the link!  OMG February

10 comments:

  1. That quilt looks wonderful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Blockheads are coming along nicely. I especially like the chain alternate blocks that give a diagonal look without a diagonal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals! Love your Moda Blockheads, and this new project looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your homespun blocks...why didn't I think of that! Fantastic, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've given yourself quite the goals for the month. But I know you! You'll have them done by the middle of the month! Somehow I know I would be planning blocks larger than 6.5" if I were making a wedding quilt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that chain block as the alternate. I have a bunch of Farmer's Wife sampler six inch blocks but not the entire set because I don't want to paper piece any of them. So, maybe I will take what I have and set them like you are. I love it. Good luck on your goal.

    And WWII reenactors? How interesting and fascinating. I'll bet they are just going to love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Block Heads quilt is going to be lovely! The homspuns make it so cuddly!
    You idea for a wedding quilt will be terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Block Heads quilt is going to be lovely! Homes puns make such a cuddly quilt.
    I love your idea for a wedding quilt. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that setting for a sampler quilt - it ties all the different styles of block together so nicely!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.