Monday, February 19, 2018
Weekly update: back in the studio
An announcement from the area United Methodist Women caught my eye. The Midwest Mission Distribution Center needs sewing machines! I arranged to meet with one of the UMW reps on Friday. I handed off four machines: the 1994 serger (hard to thread; used about once a year); the Viking MegaQuilter (bought third-hand, used a dozen times); The Ambassador (a Singer clone from Lillian's Legacy that had been on a shelf in the garage); and a 1970's Singer (someone donated it to the library). The rep explained that volunteers clean and repair donated machines and harvest parts from those that can't be fixed. The machines are then given to people (mostly women) to help with self-sufficiency and economic development in the U.S. and abroad.
It's great to get the machines out of my house and to know that they'll be used! (According to the website, 923 sewing machines were sent out from MMDC in 2017.)
I won the January Block Lotto. These blocks arrived while I was in Denver. More are on the way.
These are my entries in the February Lotto. The instructions were to start with "baby orphans," meaning units smaller than 3". I used pinwheels that resulted from cut-away corners in a long-ago project. I always thought they'd come in handy. (The unfinished blocks are 9.5")
Here are the initial blocks for the 2018 Birthday Block swap hosted by the BlockSwappers. Each of the six participants has chosen a block. The disappearing four-patch is so easy that I made three.
Once I have the HSTs trimmed they go together quickly.
The 30's stash is shrinking....slowly.
Design Wall Monday