Friday, October 27, 2017

Fiesta, linens, and sewing lessons.

I went to an estate sale in Waukegan yesterday afternoon, by which time everything was 25% off. I was surprised these Fiesta pieces hadn't been snapped up, but I was happy to buy them for  my collection.

The creamer and sugar bowl on the figure 8 tray were new to me.  I already have the salt & pepper shakers, coincidentally in these colors, but all five pieces were sold as a unit.   The estate sale staff said this was the only Fiesta they'd found.



There was a box of cotton pillowcases with the Pullman stamp. They were all yellowed with fold marks. I chose the least yellow (from what I could tell).  Old sheeting has wonderful heft to it. Since these were made to be laundered a lot I will do just that.

Dishtowels (one unused) and hankies, too.




Note to self:  investigate why the handkerchief-making was a Philippine industry. (I've seen similar labels on other never-used hankies.)








 Here is Betty Jones's Grade 7 sewing sample.  I've taken pictures of all the entries.
(No date, no location, but I suspect it was the homeowner.  They said the house was built in 1953 and only one family has lived there.)
 She got an A-.   She would have gotten high marks for penmanship, too.



 "Overcastining"


 I'm holding up the sample so you can see the seam.

 "Feld" seam. (Actually, it's "felled." One word origin I found said 'fel' meant animal pelt.)


The felled seam up close.

The last entry.

There was a sewing machine at the sale--a 1960's Viking in a cabinet--so perhaps Betty put these 7th grade exercises to good use when she grew up.












5 comments:

  1. That sewing notebook is such a sweet treasure. I don't think my home ec teacher was that organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great purchases!

    I've never seen a Sewing Sample project book before - interesting. I agree that Betty's penmanship is nearly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very similar sewing class notebook, and it is dated 1936, I think. Same projects, same perfect penmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! I especially like the Fiestaware. I don't have any but it reminds me of my maternal grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing estate sale finds! I am a collector at heart and love seeing fellow collector's vintage finds. Do you have other posts like this? I hope you will in the future too!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.