Friday, October 27, 2017

Can this quilt be saved? You bet!

 This morning I dropped off a box of  "miscellaneous household" at the back door of the Zion Salvation Army store. I went in the front door to see if there was anything interesting and/or irresistible.

This fit the bill for just $9.99. The flowers-of-the-states are liquid embroidery (Artex or Cameo paints) with transfers by Aunt Martha (identified by someone on the Quilts-Vintage and Antique FB group). The blocks are set on point with plain setting squares.






They are oriented in different directions. They're not in alphabetical order.



The backing is a horrible slippery prequilted polyester bedspread.  Ick!  The edges were pulled over to the front and zigzagged. The blocks are hand-stitched in the ditch.

I plan to remove the back and, maybe, eventually I'll quilt it.



Colonial Patterns still sells the state flower set.




P.S. Linens are among the "fifteen things you should never buy at a thrift store," said a recent click-bait article from Country Living that appeared in my Facebook feed.  (You can read it here.)  Such unfounded pretension.   The leaded glassware and sterling silver mentioned don't show up at the thrift stores I go to. And as for linens?  I can wash them.

7 comments:

  1. What a treasure. I love saving these things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, this quilt wouldn't have caught my eye. But I must say that it looks lovely on the bed. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handkerchiefs and doilies are what I typically rescue from thrift shops AND I use them.

    I have a similar quilt - I embroidered all the blocks and had family members and friends write their names which I also embroidered. It's a large quilt. Since your blocks are not alphabetical, are they arranged by admission to the Union?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! I always buy vintage linens at thrift stores. Martha Stewart says it's okay, so why not Country Living???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would I not buy linens at the thrift store... I'd had some lovely finds. I don't walk away from great deals and awesome finds because of click bait Facebook propaganda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a duvet cover that I can send you to use for backing when you're ready. They seem to follow me home, as many people don't know what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some really old State Flower transfers (not the new). I used to collect old embroidery transfers but haven't seen any in awhile at garage sales.

    I always buy old linens at the thrift store that catch my eye. I use them too. I live in the country. Do the people who wrote article?

    P.S. I'm just catching up on old Stashbuster email so that's why I'm here late to the party!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.