Sunday, August 20, 2017

Weekly update: vintage finds and I Spy finished

I went to a couple of estate sales on Friday. One was right here, in the town where I've lived since 2003, but I had no idea the house was there (nor did I know the family). The other was in Kenosha off a busy highway that I've traveled many times.  I spent a total of $49.

Six unused linen tea towels, a Land's End canvas tote (price tag still attached and silica dessicant packet inside), six new-in-box Sheffield stainless steak knives that we will put to use, an Aynsley bone china vase, and . . .







A cross-stitch quilt kit in the original package.


















Three two-yard pieces of vintage cotton, one of which has the original purchase price. (You can see the third piece in the first picture.)






The trims came with a useful plastic box, $5 for all.  I sorted out the still-in-package from the wrapped-around-cardboard.  I wasn't familiar with all of these brands.  Note the rayon rick rack. Nowadays Wrights, etc., rick rack is polyester. Cotton rick rack is still available but it's more of a specialty item, not on the pre-packaged racks.

(I wrote about vintage trims here.)















The I Spy quilt is my August One Monthly Goal.  I finished it Saturday evening.  The blocks are 8" finished.  (The center squares are 4.5" unf. and the border squares are 2.5" unf.  No duplicates!)


Link ups:
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Main Crush Monday
Design Wall Monday

One Monthly Goal Finish

P.S.  The eclipse glasses arrived Sunday afternoon -- just in time for the big event Monday!




13 comments:

  1. I love your design for your I-spy quilt. Very cute and original. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul, Nann! Love your eye spy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite an estate shopper! Love the I Spy! Do you have a long arm to quilt your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. another nice scrappy nann...and love all your tiny rick racks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found some treasures!! Love seeing the vintage packaging on the trims.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun to see the finished Eye Spy quilt. I do like that design a lot! I see the treasure map, some dogs and a helicopter. Do you use the trims you buy or display them or ??? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that eye spy quilt!!! What a great layout - enjoy the eclipse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just adore reading about others' vintage finds. I too found some vintage fabric recently and was delighted.
    Didn't know about that rick rack - I got rid of a lot of it, kept some but I haven't found a use for it YET.
    Your ISpy quilt is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the I Spy quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a colorful I Spy - congratulations on your finish. It looks like you found some great sewing items at the Estate Sales.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on meeting your OMG! Hope you had a great time eclipse watching. We got rained out. Love the vintage finds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great version of an I Spy quilt. Congratulations on the finish. Looks like the estate sales yielded some great finds!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.