Saturday, October 3, 2015

HeartStrings + RSC, October

One of my goals in 2015 is to make one 48-block HeartStrings quilt each month.  That means making the blocks and assembling them; the actual quilting is optional. The further challenge is that I will use only fabric from my stash.  I've used various fabric collections (animal-skin prints, solids, homespun plaids, 30's, polka dots) and assembled colorways (purple/lime, brown/aqua "chocqua," soft green w/ blue). [Click on the "HeartStrings" label to see them all.] For the September version I used 1.5" strips rather than the usual 2". 

This month I again departed from the usual size. I went larger with 2.5" strips from the 2.5" hamper. I had a lot of the red-orange tone-on-tone so I used it for both the centers and the corners. The piecing goes very quickly with such wide strips!

This adds 8 yards to the "used" column. (That counts the fabric foundations.)

This month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge color is brown. Here's my bubble block.  Two more to go for the year!



Today's adventure:  Irene and I are going to collect boxes of fabric offered to the guild by a man who is clearing out his mother's things. He says there are sewing machines, too.  Then we're going to the Village Quilters' biennial show.

P.S. There are still a lot of 2.5" strips in the hamper . . .

13 comments:

  1. What a great way to empty out the bin. Hope you find lots of great treasures today. What a kind man to offer his mothers sewing things to your guild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty quilt! Your system seems to be working! And lucky you to get a chance at a stash and some machines. Hope you find something great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - love that quilt. Think I would use 2.5" strips too. I take my hat off to you that you make one a month. I really like your bubble block. Think I'll make that one of my goals for next year. Sounds like a fun and exciting day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! What goodies will find on your visit? Great little strings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Heartstrings quilt turned out GREAT!! Have FUN at the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heartstrings looks great and I love the brown bubble block. I could see a whole quilt of those. Lucky guild and what a nice gesture of him to donate his Mothers things to your guild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your brown bubble block! I’m doing something similar, but not quite as tidy as yours!! Have fun sorting the new stuff! I’m sure we all wish we could be along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there, just checking in from RSC
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brown block has a nice range of color. Good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful project. But ambitious too. A whole quilt each month. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that bubble block. I'll have to remember it for scraps. It would be kind of fun to swap quarter sections with block swappers except I'm wondering about the problem with so many seams making blocks a little off.

    And I kind if like the 2.5 scraps in the Heartstrings quilt. The consistent sizes give it a whole different look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your brown bubble block. Heart string blocks sounds like a good way to work through stash. I never tire of looking at pictures of string block quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking classic heartstrings top, but I love red anyway you slice it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.