Melanie at Catbird Quilts listed "ten quilty little secrets" and suggested that her readers do the same.
Of course, if we do that they are no longer secrets. Perhaps quilty confessions is a better description.
Here are mine. You may consider me heretical. I consider myself practical. :)
1. I don't pin unless I need an absolute match.
2. When I do pin, I sew over them.
3. I iron more often than I press. With steam.
4. I use Gutermann poly thread for piecing and quilting. It comes in a huge array of colors and it is often on sale at Joann's. It works just fine. (I also use Aurifil. And Gutermann cotton. But mostly Gutermann poly.)
5. I rarely buy fabric with a specific project in mind. I buy fabric because I like it.
6. I rarely pay full price for fabric. (Actually, I avoid paying full price for anything. That is a practice that goes back decades. Purists may argue that buying stuff on sale and not using it is ultimately more expensive than buying stuff at full price and using it until it is consumed or worn out. I combine on sale + extensive use and get good value.)
7. If a design on a commercial pattern appeals to me I try to chart it out. If I can't, and if it still appeals to me, I will buy it.
8. I buy fabric at Joann's. I avoid the truly flimsy stuff (and there is a lot of it).
9. I don't always pin borders from the middle.
10. Life is too short to spend hours hand-sewing bindings. I attach them by machine. I sew the binding to the back of the quilt, then pull it over to the front and top-stitch. I usually use a zigzag stitch as a "signature." I sew the side bindings. Then I sew the top and bottom bindings. I don't miter the corners. No one who has received or bought a quilt I've made has complained.
Now it's your turn! For your chance to win a book-and-a-bundle combination, reply to this post. In your reply list at least four of your own quilty confessions. If you have more, that's great! Be sure your reply links to your email address so I can notify you if you're the winner.
|Autumn colors bundle|
|Cool colors bundle|
I am linking up with other quiltmakers for Design Wall Monday at Judy's Patchwork Times.