Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Finished: Maple leaves



Just in time for the summer solstice:  an autumn quilt!   In October, 2006, we did a Road Scholar  (then called Elderhostel) program at the Highland Center Lodge at Crawford Notch, New Hampshire.  On our free afternoon I checked out the quilt shops in North Conway. I bought the purple/red/gold/orange fabric as a souvenir and, remarkably, created this flimsy just after we returned.  The pattern is by Judy Laquidara. As I recall, she used 9" blocks. Mine are 6" -- this is 54 x 66. 

The flimsy languished in the box for 6-1/2 years.  I couldn't decide how to quilt it, and in fact I came up with the straight lines in the leaves after it was basted and I had the stitched the  straight lines in the frames.  I think that the curvy meanders and leaves are a good contrast for those straight lines.

This is finish #20 for 2013!

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow Nann - this is just beautiful! Looks like that six-year aging process worked wonderfully. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Your colors are great and the quilting is fantastic. (Looks like I may be an anonymous commenter here!)

    Judy Laquidara

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! that is wonderful!!! i have lots of maple leaves just waiting for a setting. this one might be it! was it from one of judy's books or from her free patterns on her blog? of course since i am there several times a day, i could just go look myself huh? LOL i love this nann, the setting, the colors, the quilting--great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! It doesn't matter how long it took. What matters is you finished it. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't that be beautiful to showcase asian prints with a black frame? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is lovely! I really like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one super fantastic quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a fine finish from your NH buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful Naan. Love the green and yellow fabrics you chose to highlight the accent fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this quilt and the colors are fabulous. i have a maple leaves quilt in my stack of projects that aren't yet started. my granny made a maple leaf quilt for my parents as a wedding gift, it is old and tattered and needs to be replaced. i am hoping mine is more of a "family tree" quilt once it is completed.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.