Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Midweek: show quilts delivered + top-along finished


 Monday's mail brought the good news that two quilts I entered in the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show have been accepted.   Though there's a lot on my to-do list, there was nothing on the calendar yesterday and I drove the long way through the countryside to deliver the quilts to Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.   It's a bright and cheerful quilt shop in downtown Beaver Dam.  (Nancy's Notions warehouse used to be in an industrial park on the edge of town.)  


I did not buy a thing at the shop (fortitude!).  Instead I visited Horicon Marsh.  Stevens loved going to Horicon.  (I last blogged about it in 2022, part of a quilt delivery to Beaver Dam that year.)   It covers 33,000 acres.  It's partly a national wildlife refuge  and partly a state wildlife area Last time we went to the state portion (Stevens sat in the visitor center while I walked the trail).  This time I did the national side and the private non-profit  Marsh Haven Nature Center .  Not too hot, not too humid -- a perfect day!  

Clockwise: coneflowers, floating boardwalk, bladderwort, nodding onion, tall tickseed, the marsh, purple loosestrife. Center:  tussock moth caterpillars like milkweed as much as monarchs.  


An old quilt in a display at Marsh Haven and a newer quilt on the wall at the NWR visitor center.  

I returned by the shorter route (I-41/94) and was home at 3 p.m. 


# # # # # #




In the studio:   Sheryl on Safari is finished!   "Sheryl" is the August pattern for the Running Doe Top-along.   I used brown-and-black batiks.  The pattern was designed for layer cakes (though I cut from stash) and the blocks are 9-1/2" finished. 


 






The back uses parts of batik sarongs that I acquired at estate/rummage/thrift sales. 

I watched Zero Day on Netflix and finished listening to A Cold Heart by Jonathan Kellerman.  


Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss





P.S. Two old guys at Horicon in 2022. 

14 comments:

  1. The "old guys" picture is so evocative. And of course the quilts are wonderful. I'm so glad your show entries were accepted!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched Zero Day - I thought it was good. Congratulations on having those quilts accepted to the show, too! Will you go back for it? Horizon Marsh looks like an amazing place and a good memory, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two old guys photo is the best! Congrats on getting into the show . What a nice place to take a walk. Its so green there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on having quilts entered. I like Beaver Dam from what I remember of it from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Well deserved honour I think. And double congrats for having enough fortitude not to buy anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kudos to you nann for such nice recognition! looks like a lovely road trip...i sure do miss those...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy! Congratulations on the two quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. I love the pics of Stevens you include.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the brown and black batiks you used. It's a combination I haven't used for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your quilts being accepted for the show! It's always a great quilt show, and I wish I could get there to see it, but the schedule doesn't work this year. Both of my parents grew up in Beaver Dam, and I still have family there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice photo of Stevens. Congrats on having 2 quilts accepted into that show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the show quilts and what a grand way to get them there. Love the photo of Stevens at the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty quilt! I love that brown and black together. So rich looking. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/05/wednesday-wait-loss-496

    ReplyDelete
  14. Applause, applause for having TWO quilts accepted for the quilt show!!!!!!!!
    Loved the other pictures and the two old guys are special.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.