Monday, July 27, 2026

Weekly Update: challenge met + watching/reading

 



Wildflowers at Illinois Beach State Park on Saturday:  monarda, elderflower, lead plant; sawtooth sunflower, mounain mint, swamp milkweed; Queen Anne's lace, spurge, purple prairie clover.








I spent Sunday afternoon and evening in the studio -- the air-conditioned basement -- and finished the guild challenge quilt.  

60 x 72.  If I'd taken more time the color balance would be a little better but I mostly wanted to avoid two-same-fabrics-touching.  



The back is as bright as the front!  I got the jungle print from some bargain source (it's Alexander Henry).  The green is sliced from a remnant of 108".   

108"w provides a lot a fabric for the money but it's hard to wrangle on the cutting table and the ironing board.







I tidied up the scraps and then turned to something completely different. 

# # # # # # # #

I watched two Netflix series and a movie: The Beast in Me (psychological thriller), Summer of '36 (French police/romance, dubbed in English), and The Debt (Helen Mirren).  Not my usual Acorn or BritBox fare but they kept my attention.



I have tremendous fear of running out of reading material when I travel.  That was especially so for the trip to Peru because I don't read Spanish.  I took four books and had four downloaded to my iPad.   (I couldn't listen to audio books on my phone or iPad because I don't have wireless earbuds....something to add to the shopping list.)  I fuss with the ebook format and tend to scroll too fast.  I prefer ink-on-paper.    
 

I finished these four on the trip.  

Murder at the Grand Alpine Hotel will be published this fall.  Miss Marple is the protagonist.  Fun!

Queen of Lombard Street (author is Lisa Kleypas) is a Victorian sort of mystery and romance. The main character was  inspired by one of the first women economists in England and an actual bank fraud.  (Publication: November.)

The Mad Wife (Meagan Church) features a very unreliable narrator. I didn't see the big clue to the plot, and that was the author's point.  

 I remember when Kim Richardson came to ALA (2019) to talk about The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek.  The Mountains We Call Home is the third in the series.  It was great to find out what happened to all the characters.  

I'll post more book reviews later in the week.

Linking up with  Design Wall Monday Sew and Tell  Oh Scrap   Monday Musings 


5 comments:

  1. Your finished quilt looks great! I like that blue that pops out. I always feel the same way about running out of books when we travel. I'm glad you were able to bring some good ones. I loved The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, but haven't read the sequels. And now I'm wondering why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your challenge quilt turned out beautifully. It looks pretty balanced to me, very bold and bright. Perfect for it's intended recipient. You read some interesting books. I'll have to tell my daughter about the Ms. Marple story, she's been working her way through some of Agatha Christie books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your challenge quilt is lively and lovely. I appreciate the book reviews and added the books to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wildflowers keep on blooming. I like the sawtooth sunflower. It's prettier than the Oxeye Daisy that I have in my wild garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bright quilt! It certainly grabs your attention. :) I like the patchwork that is your new project. What is the name of that block? Thanks for joining Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.